New to the forums or the TauLabs project? Let us know about yourself or what you are working on in here.

Hello Tau Labs Peoples

Moderator: CheBuzz

no avatar
User

thunderdan

Sun Nov 01, 2015 5:26 pm

California

Hello Tau Labs Peoples

by thunderdan » Thu Dec 10, 2015 1:08 am

Hi Everyone,
I've been a OP lurker over the last year and decided I needed to try Tau Labs recently. I have the revo and oplink mini but was waiting around for the GPS and never got my hands on one. I tried a ublox based neo 6 without much luck... and ublox neo m8n but gave up on OP software somewhere along the line.

I went ahead and bought a Sparky2 and even ordered the parts/PCB for the Tau Link Module. I hope the new mag in the sparky2 helps me reach my goal of GPS based autopilot and the tau link module lets me use a taranis radio with bluetooth relay out to a computer or tablet.

Skills
Ok at using stuff and tweaking stuff but not so much at making brand new designs
Ok at HW (can read a schematic and did some simple layout years ago)
Ok at SW (just enought Qt + C++ to build and make tweaks to the GCS)
Love to fly rc planes

It looks like some amazing things are happening here and I hope to join in on the fun :)
no avatar
User

TMac

Wed Dec 02, 2015 5:00 pm

Re: Hello Tau Labs Peoples

by TMac » Thu Dec 10, 2015 3:45 am

I look forward to hearing about your successes!

How many TLmodules' worth of parts did you have to order to build one? In thinking of giving it a go as well.
no avatar
User

thunderdan

Sun Nov 01, 2015 5:26 pm

California

by thunderdan » Fri Dec 11, 2015 4:49 am

I planned to order parts for three modules since OSH park sells the PCBs as 3 minimum quantity. Well, I ended up ordering of a qty of 3 for each reference designator. Oops. I didn't correctly order. I needed qty 30 for Cap402_100nF because there are 10 per Tau Link Module. Back to Digi-Key.

Depending on skill set, I'm certain someone could buy parts and build just one board and get it working. With my skills... I'll be purchasing parts for three modules and hopefully can get one or two working.

I do have access to very nice soldering stations and magnifying equipment at work. Hopefully I can get my hands steady too.
no avatar
User

TMac

Wed Dec 02, 2015 5:00 pm

by TMac » Fri Dec 11, 2015 9:03 am

If Cap402... Is an 0402 package then the magnifier is certainly called for. I don't think I could solder those, but I think i know who can.

For now I'm still receiving parts for my Tarot FY680pro. Need to finish that first.