New to the forums or the TauLabs project? Let us know about yourself or what you are working on in here.
no avatar
User

CrashMaster

Thu Nov 19, 2015 11:05 pm

Hello! I'm a droner turned mini quad addict

by CrashMaster » Fri Nov 20, 2015 2:03 am

I'm hoping some of you can help me get started with taulabs from openpilot.
I'm a total noob. I've basically configured a 250 cc3d copter and went as far as TxPID, which went well.
However, whenever i connect to CC3D in the OP GCS the basic configuration check box is always checked.
I have no idea if the advanced PIDs are actually being used.
Also, I'd like to try TauLAbs FW and GCS.
I installed the GCS but the driver won't install on my laptop for some reason. Any suggestions?
Should I move to TauLabs? It seems OP has all but died and there is very limited documentation that I could find.
Thanks in advance!
:D
no avatar
User

williamyjk

Mon Oct 05, 2015 1:11 am

Re: Hello! I'm a droner turned mini quad addict

by williamyjk » Fri Nov 20, 2015 5:41 am

What version of Windows are you using?

CC3D uses release 15.02.02. Please verify that you are using this version.

When you install the the OpenPilot GCS does a pop-up window appear that states that the windows drivers are about to be installed?
no avatar
User

CrashMaster

by CrashMaster » Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:34 pm

Hi William- thanks for the quick Reply! It pops up the window and when I hit next it gives and error with redX and port conflict.
I dug around the forum and found a note about timing synch issues between windows and the driver. What worked was to reboot windows with the cc3d already plugged in. I was using 15.02.2 as you said but I managed to get configured on tau now.
I'll run through txpid tuning this weekend I think unless there is a better way to tune now, other than auto tune. I'll try that at a later date... Sound scary.
no avatar
User

PT_Dreamer

Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:01 pm

by PT_Dreamer » Fri Nov 20, 2015 1:18 pm

Please move this convo to the OpenPilot forum.

Thanks!
no avatar
User

CrashMaster

by CrashMaster » Sat Nov 21, 2015 1:56 am

I'm trying to set up tau on a cc3d. Isn't this forum about tau?
User

shred

Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:50 am

by shred » Sat Nov 21, 2015 2:13 am

CrashMaster wrote:I'm trying to set up tau on a cc3d. Isn't this forum about tau?

It is indeed. Welcome .
no avatar
User

SystemsGuy

Fri Jul 17, 2015 4:16 am

by SystemsGuy » Sat Nov 21, 2015 3:41 am

CrashMaster wrote:I'm trying to set up tau on a cc3d. Isn't this forum about tau?

Absolutely - pt_dreamer appears to have awoken on the wrong side of his bed today and owes you an apology. Other than that, let's get you up and flying.
no avatar
User

CrashMaster

by CrashMaster » Sat Nov 21, 2015 12:36 pm

No apology needed. Glad I'm in the right place. Are there any instructions for performing txPID tuning (OPtune approach) in tau?
That's really what I'd like to do next. I did this successfully in OP but the tau interface is just different enough that I don't get it. I also noticed that my RC inputs never dynamically display on the controller page unless I'm actually doing calibration. Any help on that is appreciated as well. Thanks in advance
no avatar
User

SystemsGuy

Fri Jul 17, 2015 4:16 am

by SystemsGuy » Sat Nov 21, 2015 6:21 pm

CrashMaster wrote:No apology needed. Glad I'm in the right place. Are there any instructions for performing txPID tuning (OPtune approach) in tau?

It's pretty much the same mechanics? It's been a while since I've actually done it in Tau - autotune has me spoiled - but you wander down to the "TxPID" icon on the config dialogue, enable, reboot, and then pick your inputs and values like you do in OP. I've not got a target sitting in front of me, but I'll plug one in later and confirm.

CrashMaster wrote:That's really what I'd like to do next. I did this successfully in OP but the tau interface is just different enough that I don't get it. I also noticed that my RC inputs never dynamically display on the controller page unless I'm actually doing calibration. Any help on that is appreciated as well. Thanks in advance

I think this is "normal" if not expected, and I think varies a bit based on what input you have selected. I generally use the radio wizard and don't have issues - 50% CPPM and 50% s.bus these days. I've also had a couple of weird instances where it seems like the "manual config" button got out of sync with the actual state. If this happens, just close gsc and pop back in. Also note that entering manual stick config resets arming settings to "always disarmed"..

If you use irc, pop into #taulabs on freenode - usually a load of helpful people around.
no avatar
User

CrashMaster

by CrashMaster » Sat Nov 21, 2015 6:57 pm

Thanks guys. I noticed that the pwm values were indeed changing all the way over on the right. I got txPID going but to the results I thought, meh. So I went with auto tune and it was so twitchy that I was a little freaked out. But then I figured out you can just drag the two sliders and get it to a sweet spot.
Amazing! Now it is super snappy but also smooth. Now yaw seems sluggish so I boosted it a bit but still think it could be better...
Very excited!
Should I be worried about the orange memory warning?
Next