Discussion for the Tau Labs android application

Android application

User

peabody124

Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:33 pm

Android application

by peabody124 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:03 pm

I just noticed on the play store that the android app now has over 500 current installs. That's pretty cool. For the new people you can find it here: https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... androidgcs

I find this really useful in the field. Whenever you are connected, it is always taking a log which is useful when something happens and you want to look back on why. Also for just checking on the state of things before attempting any navigation related activities.

Here is a video demonstrating some of the features:

It got a face lift since then: http://buildandcrash.blogspot.com/2013/ ... pdate.html

I've been playing around with it for tracking the phone the last few days. Hopefully there will be some videos shortly.
User

peabody124

Re: Android application

by peabody124 » Sun Mar 30, 2014 5:59 pm

BTW one aspect I don't love and would like suggestions on how to deal with it: the back button

Right now the back stack tracks most changes. For example, if you are in the browser and go through objects then hitting back goes through them in the reverse order. For one or two that is convenient - say you go to something and then want to return.

However, I find that the back stack gets really long and I need to press it a ton to get back to the PFD or something. I'm wondering about some kind of limit on depth etc, but am looking for suggestions.
User

Oso Grande

Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:52 pm

Houston

by Oso Grande » Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:12 pm

I'll get back to you as I use it more. So far I rarely use the back button. Usually I use the pull down menu in the upper left to switch screens.
no avatar
User

pug398

Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:26 am

by pug398 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:44 am

There's a back button? :)

I always use the corner drop down or whatever you call it. I find the "back" gets very long like you said and try to avoid it now. Expected it to go to the PFD screen like a "home" for some reason.

On both the nexus7 tablet and S3 phone the app misses switch position changes for some reason. For instance in the PH hold test video going back from PH to AH got missed and disarm at end got missed. It will pick up a later switch position change so its not locked up. Might be my hardware just thought I would mention it.
User

peabody124

by peabody124 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:53 pm

Suggestions about the back button to make it more useful? It could always go to the PFD but that's essentially the same as selecting it again. I think for sure on the browser it shouldn't track every object change.

The not calling out flight mode changes means it probably packet drops over telemetry. I would recommend using the telemetry scheduler widget and slowing down most of the data that is less important.
no avatar
User

pug398

by pug398 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:34 pm

Last two and then PFD? Sorry I am not being very helpful I know. Can you tell me where the telemetry scheduler widget is located?

I think I remember reading something about my brand radio dropping packets.
User

peabody124

by peabody124 » Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:34 am

Yeah a limit on the backstack might be sufficient. I'll have to read the android guidelines some more and see if they have recommendations.
no avatar
User

pug398

by pug398 » Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:00 pm

Dropping the air data rate between modems may have helped. Should find out shortly.
User

peabody124

by peabody124 » Thu Apr 03, 2014 5:17 pm

Oh also the telemetry scheduler is not in the default configuration so you have yo add in. We should update that actually.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
no avatar
User

EvaWase

Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:37 am

Poland

Android application

by EvaWase » Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:30 am

I am developing an Android application where I want to make a database. I have extended the SQLiteOpenHelper class but its not working for me. Can anybody tell me how to make database through it or any other syntax or code? Please provide me some good tutorial or example to study the database creation and implementation in the application.

Here is my logcat file from an attempt to follow a vogella.de tutorial:
Code: