Discussion for the Tau Labs android application

FPV Video in the GCS window?

no avatar
User

mundsen

Sat May 02, 2015 6:14 pm

FPV Video in the GCS window?

by mundsen » Fri May 15, 2015 8:39 am

Is it possible to get FPV video in the GCS?

I have this one: http://laserbgc.com/index.php?route=pro ... duct_id=82
+ A FatShark 5,8Ghz RX module

If I connect this one to my Sony Xperia Z3 and use apps like CameraFi I get FPV video without any driver problems.. it appears as a normal USB camera.

I have to do some tests when it comes to video delay - It may not be the best setup for a race quad

Would be cool if it was possible to get the video signal in the GCS - Colour OSD..
User

peabody124

Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:33 pm

Re: FPV Video in the GCS window?

by peabody124 » Fri May 15, 2015 2:39 pm

I have one of those too :) would be a cool feature to see!
no avatar
User

chipset

Fri Sep 12, 2014 5:13 pm

Re: FPV Video in the GCS window?

by chipset » Fri May 15, 2015 4:56 pm

I have one as well. Its great! The delay isn't so bad. It is more than when receiving video through my goggles. Quantitatively, not sure how much the lag is. I'm sure it depends heavily on the specs of the pc it is connected to, and the application that is rendering the video. Like you said, maybe in race conditions the lag may be too much, but it is more than adequate for everything else.

It is also very convenient for things like tweaking OSD layouts, or troubleshooting hardware, but also great as a groundstation and spectator feed... It would be nice to integrate it into GCS, but imagine it may be hard to manage the delicate (in terms of latency) "live" stream in addition to everything else GCS already does, especially if you're also doing telemetry.

Bonus - some smart tvs will read and display the feed with no additional hardware or cables.