currently my quad is flying with a STM32F3Disco on a dasdboot shield. Unfortunately I discovered that it is not the best and accurate setup.
Cause of this, first I searched a Quanton but it is not longer sold in europe and it is quite expensive to order it from USA (taxes, shipping ..).
Sparky 2 isn't a proper board for me. I have a bigger quad and I want to have normal 2,54mm pitch Pin headers for normal connectors.
So i decided to build a own FC (my normal work is to design SBC's, so I think this shouldn't be to hard for me (if I get into Kicad a bit more (on work we use Mentor...)) . My currently planned setup is (everything with normal 2.54mm Pin Headers!):
(Normaly I like Freescale MCUs more, but I think it is too much work to port Taulabs to them..)
1. STM32F407 or STM32F405 (same as Quanton or Flying F4 for less Software work), which one best?
2. Planned is to have the option for mounting a HC05/HC06 Board or something else ? Any offers /whishes ?
3. GPS mounted on Board (uBlox NEO-M8N or MAX-M8W) which best? With SMA connector for antenna?
4. SPI-flash (not yet specified)
5. FrSky Telemetry SBUS support on board.
Sensors (in case of easy software support??):
I think the Invense IMUs are a bit to expensive in opposite of other Sensors? Also it is a bit harder to get one in Europe, I wish do build the FC for a less price of a Quanton. Also it should be OpenHardware and so on for free use. I will give away PCBs (planned to build them with Seedstudio or dirtyPCBs or so) for manufacturing costs.
I would have 3 Sensors (Gyro/Acc, Mag, Pressure) each one on a different Bus (if possible SPI) for high update rates, better for a FC or?
For example I can get the following Sensors easily and quite cheaper then Invense ones, in Europe from Mouser (price for 1 piece, with 1piece order available):
1. BMI160 (technical equal to MPU6000? (looks like for me)) for under 4€ (Invense Sensors not available from Mouser, other shops > 10€)
2. BMM150 (technical equal to HMC5883L? (looks like for me)) for under 2€ (HMC5883L not available from Mouser, other shops >2€)
3. BMP180/BMP280 (I think BMP280 is better, but Im not sure! Or even one of the BME ones (like environment logging stuff)?) for under 4€ (MS5611 >= 9€) but I'm not sure which one is technical better?
Also there is the BNO055 (9DOF + 32bit µC + Sensor Fusion algorithm) but I think it is to slow for a FC to get all data from it (UART,I2C interface only).
How much work will it be to get these sensors into Taulabs (HW engineer, so only a bit of software knowledge (PIC and Linux with C, no RTOS))? Are they a good choice for building a "cheap" and accurate FC for Taulabs?
Any further wishes or offers ??
I'm willing to build the FC with community feedback from here, FPV-Community.de and Mikrocontroller.net...