Talk about sensors, OSD systems, radios and anything else related to electronic hardware.

NEO 6M v2

no avatar
User

SJi

Mon Jul 27, 2015 1:18 pm

NEO 6M v2

by SJi » Mon Jul 27, 2015 4:39 pm

Hello,

I bought GY-GPS6MV2 module and fix sattelite connection if connected to the u-center but not when connected to a board (green LED doesn't blink).
I think it is neccessery to change settings in the u-center.
Does anyone know what needs to be set?
User

VArcht

Thu Mar 06, 2014 5:24 am

Re: NEO 6M v2

by VArcht » Mon Jul 27, 2015 7:56 pm

fc needs to be powered by battery first to autoconfig the GPS, if you power from USB first it won't work.
no avatar
User

SJi

by SJi » Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:29 pm

I test it on my Arduino module which sends the data back to the computer over the serial link.
no avatar
User

cedric

Sat May 16, 2015 1:30 pm

by cedric » Tue Jul 28, 2015 1:12 am

The default baud rate is 9600. Be sure the arduino serial monitor is set to 9600. It can also take 10-15 minutes to warm up. Putting it near a window helps sat lock.

When wired to the Sparky board, the Sparky firmware will configure it. That includes matching baud rate. But you have to connect battery power to your quad first, then connect the Sparky USB port to your computer. The Sparky USB power doesn't power the GPS. Taking the props off is a good idea.
no avatar
User

SJi

by SJi » Tue Jul 28, 2015 2:07 pm

I've connected it to my Arduino board to test it. The baud rate is correctly set to 9600 at any other stuffs like output format or NMEA protocols like fine.
When connected to the u-center it establishe satellite connection, if to the Arduino it don't. Wiring's OK.
no avatar
User

cedric

Sat May 16, 2015 1:30 pm

by cedric » Tue Jul 28, 2015 3:01 pm

The only other things I can think of re arduino is the 6M takes 5v power, but logic level is 3.3v. You need a voltage divider or logic level shifter between adruino tx and GPS rx. But that probably wouldn't blow the GPS immediately.

Then you need to have a GPS lib installed, like tinyGPS, and run one of the simpler .ino programs that comes with the lib.

If you are doing all those things, then I don't know why it doesn't work.
no avatar
User

SJi

by SJi » Tue Jul 28, 2015 3:25 pm

Yes, so I was thought. I've applied voltage divider and tried to power it by 5V instead of 3.3V also. But none of these work.
The module has on-board voltage regulator so is capable to work on both 3.3V and 5V and the Serial link seems to has the same capability.I am using tinyGPS library and also have tried tinyGPS++ without success.
It is odd that it establish sattelitte connection (green LED blinks) while connected to the u-center but not if connected to the Arduino board. This led me to the conclusion that the module might not be set properly, although everything seems fine to me in the u-center.
I am frustrated by that for more then 2 weeks and I ran out of ideas too...
no avatar
User

pug398

Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:26 am

by pug398 » Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:41 pm

It is possible for u-center to turn the receiver off but if it was showing data and you just unplug it then it should start up on its own when power is reapplied. So when you just connect 5v/GND to the gps module and place it facing clear sky what happens?
no avatar
User

icee

Thu Apr 02, 2015 8:00 pm

by icee » Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:43 pm

VArcht wrote:fc needs to be powered by battery first to autoconfig the GPS, if you power from USB first it won't work.

Note I've fixed this in the last release. You can power by either first, and the FC will configure the GPS when it shows up.
User

VArcht

Thu Mar 06, 2014 5:24 am

by VArcht » Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:54 pm

icee wrote:
VArcht wrote:fc needs to be powered by battery first to autoconfig the GPS, if you power from USB first it won't work.

Note I've fixed this in the last release. You can power by either first, and the FC will configure the GPS when it shows up.

Nice, I missed that.
Next