Talk about sensors, OSD systems, radios and anything else related to electronic hardware.
no avatar
User

pug398

Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:26 am

Re: 3DR Radio - Configurations

by pug398 » Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:11 pm

peabody124 wrote:I know chebuzz saw no problem with xbee.

I will soon find out :)
User

CheBuzz

Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:19 pm

by CheBuzz » Thu Apr 10, 2014 2:46 am

I don't know why, but mine takes a long time to enumerate as well with the 3DR radios. I just timed startup with a stopwatch on one of the many spare CC I have here and it took 25 seconds to complete. Xbee takes much less than 10 seconds, though I don't have the exact time.

Here is my configuration for the 3DR radios:
Attachments
3DR_config_small.jpg
3DR_config_small.jpg (39.03 KiB) Viewed 3254 times
User

metRo_

Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:26 pm

by metRo_ » Sun Oct 05, 2014 2:41 pm

Mine can't maintain a connection for more than a few meters (4 or 5 meters) :s
User

pieri70

Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:08 pm

Trieste, Italy

by pieri70 » Mon Mar 16, 2015 8:41 am

Hello
I write in this "old" thread because I'm in your same situation with 433Mhz radio modems (the ones usually used on APM/Pixhawk FC).
In quanton connection they take a second to display FC orientation but a lot to download all the parameters..
I cannot configure correctly RC radio because there is a lot of delay between RC input and GCS update.. So I must perform all the calibration with USB connected.

I'm using these radios on APM 2.6 and they work correctly, only issue are antennas!!
They are sold with wrong antennas.
Last ones (the ones I use with quanton) came to me with 2.4Ghz antennas.. (this is what is written on the side of the antenna connectors).
Same thing was with those I was using with APM.
Then for APM I made myself a pair of 1/2 lambda dipole antennas like these ones

And with these I can control my APM 300m far away..
With the ones sold with radio modems I could get connection at maximum 5-10 meters distance RX/TX...
I'm waiting for some dipole antennas bought on ebay to make some test then I'll post here my impressions..

Bye
User

metRo_

by metRo_ » Tue Mar 17, 2015 12:00 am

Thank you for the information, don't you mind to share how did you make the antennas?
User

pieri70

Trieste, Italy

by pieri70 » Tue Mar 17, 2015 7:59 am

Yes of course!
If you search on internet for DIY half wave dipole antenna you can find a huge amount of information on doing them.
Personally I followed a little tutorial found on our Italian RC forum
Here it is

In short
I bought some of these connectors, you can search on ebay for SMA Plug/SMA Connector.

From left to right:
The connector, the central pin and the outer collar used to connect flexible wires. I didn't use this collar because I soldered the connector directly to the antenna arms, to lower possible power losses due to extension cables (see picture below).

You must buy them according to the kind of plug you have on your RX/TX 433mHz module (male or female SMA plug).
Then I took a piece of fiberglass/copper plate and I made a hole (3mm) so the connector can pass it, like this:

The piece is 8mm x 24mm. You must practice a cut on the copper to isolate ground from the power section of the antenna (in italian "Solco di divisione sul rame").

Then you solder the sma outer part to the ground (the right part of the image above).
Use a powerful soldering iron (60-80W) because you need a lot of power and a short time for soldering, otherwise you risk to damage the plastic/teflon insulation ring inside the sma connector.

I used some iron wires 0.8mm or 0.6mm diameter, the ones used to make bowdens and their plastic tubes.

One piece must be soldered to the ground. The other must be scratched to let it pass trough the back of the central pin of the sma connector. A little tin will be used to fix it to this iron cable once inserted in the back of the central pin.

Then you must calculate the sections to make a "U" so the iron wire and the central pin are in place and the wire must touch the VTR/Copper plate on the opposite site than the ground arm. The power arm must not touch the outer portion of the connector otherwise the antenna will be in short circuit and you risk to burn your module..
You can use a little bit of thermo retractile tube to insulate the power wire from the outer section of the connector (see picture above).
So set in place the wire and make some signs with a pencil and bend the cable according to your signs.
Solder the power arm to the plate copper like in the picture above.

Cut the wires at 163mm from the end of the VTR/copper plate and insert them into the plastic tubes, with a little bit of hot glue to firm the tubes in place.
Et voilà!

With this antenna I use APM Droid planner (now Tower) on my Samsung note 2 at a distance of 300m without warnings!
I think I can go far away but I didn't try yet..

I made 2 antennas, one for the quad and one for the GCS. The only problem is that they are big and can interfere with your hardware setup on the UAV..
Here a nice solution..

Bye
Pietro
User

metRo_

by metRo_ » Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:33 am

thank you,

I'm gonna buy the connectors from ebay to try out :) What did you put on the end of the white wires?

Then you must calculate the sections to make a "U" so the iron wire and the central pin are in place and the wire must touch the VTR/Copper plate on the opposite site than the ground arm. The power arm must not touch the outer portion of the connector otherwise the antenna will be in short circuit and you risk to burn your module..

Can you just elaborate on it?
User

pieri70

Trieste, Italy

by pieri70 » Tue Mar 17, 2015 12:53 pm

Here is a section schema
The "U" section is a bend in the iron wire that let the power arm connect the central pin into the connector and on the outside let the wire to be soldered to the VTR/Copper plate.

Here the real picture

OK?
User

metRo_

by metRo_ » Wed Mar 18, 2015 10:57 am

got it :)
User

zyama

Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:13 pm

Ukraine

by zyama » Sun Mar 22, 2015 7:32 pm

The main module in 3DR Radio, HK and else is HM-TRP, so pug398 and metro_ they are the same and problem's the same to.
PreviousNext