Talk about sensors, OSD systems, radios and anything else related to electronic hardware.
User

pieri70

Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:08 pm

Trieste, Italy

Re: External magnetometer on quanton

by pieri70 » Sun Mar 15, 2015 1:06 pm

It has I883 2412 on its top
no avatar
User

pug398

Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:26 am

by pug398 » Sun Mar 15, 2015 4:50 pm

Perhaps I simplify things too much. When I said get it working first then worry about orienation I did not mean you could get it booted and look at heading. You must first have mag physically coupled to fc and have the axis aligned before you worry about looking for heading. To give a jump start look on top of quanton mounted L883 mag and look for a dot in the corner. Orient the dot on top of ext mag to same alignment as fc mag. In config set mag orientation to Top_90. Save, reboot. Do 6 point calibration. Verify north heading is actually north. Before doing any of this you can check ext mag functioning under System>objects>magnetometers. Verify system sees ext mag movement and not internal mag. You can also use the magnetometer scope to verify ext mag is seen not internal but you would need to setup mag scope as it is not default shown. The heading is a fusion of data and not solely from data of one sensor.
no avatar
User

brat002

Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:12 pm

by brat002 » Sun Mar 15, 2015 8:11 pm

>System>objects>magnetometer
Shows nan.
User

pieri70

Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:08 pm

Trieste, Italy

by pieri70 » Sun Mar 15, 2015 9:23 pm

pug398 wrote: Before doing any of this you can check ext mag functioning under System>objects>magnetometers. Verify system sees ext mag movement and not internal mag. You can also use the magnetometer scope to verify ext mag is seen not internal but you would need to setup mag scope as it is not default shown. The heading is a fusion of data and not solely from data of one sensor.

Ok today I made some test with the last stable release dated 20141026.
I made a complete reinstall of Bootloader and Firmware
At first boot, before any wizard setup I set all the parameters in hardware settings
Then I made a complete setup wizard and all seems to work
Also the internal magnetometer

As you can see there are numbers under uav objects>magnetometer.
I also tried to rotate the GPS module and these values change a lot, so I think the external mag is working, right?

But when I move the mag (GPS module) no change is visible in flight data HUD.

Also the I2C box on the hardware error display remains gray..

What is next step?
6 point calibration and mag calibration?

And where can I find the Mag Scope??

Thanks!
no avatar
User

pug398

by pug398 » Mon Mar 16, 2015 12:09 am

@brat002

Unfortunately I do not have answer as I have covered everything I know. Sounds like ext mag is not seen.
no avatar
User

brat002

by brat002 » Mon Mar 16, 2015 7:02 pm

I confirm. In Data Object ->Magnetometer i see values from external magnetometer, but firtual quadcopter in Flight Data tab continue using internal magnetometer. It is correct behaviour?
no avatar
User

pug398

by pug398 » Tue Mar 17, 2015 12:06 am

Did you know that a fc that does not even have a magnetometer on board will cause the PFD heading to move if you rotate the board? So to answer the question yes that is the correct behavior because the other on board sensors have more influence on the heading display and cause it to rotate. However to have accurate heading the mag is needed. Mount the mag board with the orientation mentioned in previous post so it rotates when fc is rotated. Select Top_90 orientation and do 6 point calibration and all should be good. The PFD heading should indicate North when arrow on fc is pointed North. Hopefully that will do it :)
no avatar
User

brat002

by brat002 » Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:55 am

It is made my day :)
no avatar
User

brat002

by brat002 » Sat Jun 27, 2015 10:50 pm

Could anybody explain ExtMagOrientation option? It is orientation relatively flight controller nose or builtin on-board mag?
User

guilhermito

Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:16 pm

by guilhermito » Sun Jun 28, 2015 3:51 pm

Nose
PreviousNext