Running TauLabs software on hardware that isn't supported? Work with others to get a new platform supported.
no avatar
User

gsenroc

Thu Mar 27, 2014 6:45 pm

Support for mini Cortex M4 (STM32F4) board?

by gsenroc » Sat Apr 05, 2014 11:59 pm

Hi,

I'm very interested in building a FlyingF4 board in a very small size. I've found a very nice small STM32F4 board which seems very suitable for it: http://www.mikroe.com/mini/stm32/. However after checking the pins I realize there are some pins lacking and it may not work with Tau Labs firmware.

I'm wondering whether it's possible to support such mini boards by moving some pin functions to more common used pins? It seems to open a door to many mini STM32 boards and can make the flight controller more compact.
User

peabody124

Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:33 pm

Re: Support for mini Cortex M4 (STM32F4) board?

by peabody124 » Sun Apr 06, 2014 1:52 am

We always welcome new targets and ways to use our software. our general policy is that we will allow new targets to merge to next if they have a maintainer and have an open design published.

It's also encouraged to maintain a fork with your flight/target/<boardname> directory if you don't meet this criterion but want to keep it running on Tau Labs.

I'm not sure what your specific question is though. Were you asking about particular suggestions on pin mappings?
no avatar
User

gsenroc

by gsenroc » Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:36 am

Hi pea,

I actually mean if I use that mini STM32F4 board from the link, I don't have the pins needed for the firmware.

For example, the output pins on the STM32F4 Discovery are:

1: TIM1_CH1 (PE9)
2: TIM1_CH2 (PE11)
3: TIM1_CH3 (PE13)
4: TIM1_CH4 (PE14)
5: TIM3_CH1 (PB4)
6: TIM3_CH2 (PB5)
7: TIM3_CH3 (PB0)
8: TIM3_CH4 (PB1)

And the mini board doesn't have any PE pins, if I flash the firmware on this mini board it won't have all the outputs.

I really would like to contribue but I don't have enough skill to do that at the moment. I guess support of such small board is not going to cost too much work?
User

KipK

Sat Mar 01, 2014 5:21 pm

by KipK » Sun Apr 06, 2014 1:33 pm

Thanks for the link, I was looking for such little dev board.
Won't be a hard task to remap pins. On what I see there's everything we need, but no sensors.

This would be a perfect candidate for a new flyingF4 shield, considering DiscoveryF4 is a flight tanker... :)
User

metRo_

Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:26 pm

by metRo_ » Sun Apr 06, 2014 2:01 pm

gsenroc wrote:Hi pea,

I actually mean if I use that mini STM32F4 board from the link, I don't have the pins needed for the firmware.

For example, the output pins on the STM32F4 Discovery are:

1: TIM1_CH1 (PE9)
2: TIM1_CH2 (PE11)
3: TIM1_CH3 (PE13)
4: TIM1_CH4 (PE14)
5: TIM3_CH1 (PB4)
6: TIM3_CH2 (PB5)
7: TIM3_CH3 (PB0)
8: TIM3_CH4 (PB1)

And the mini board doesn't have any PE pins, if I flash the firmware on this mini board it won't have all the outputs.

I really would like to contribue but I don't have enough skill to do that at the moment. I guess support of such small board is not going to cost too much work?

Uou can easly remap the pins to fit your needs.
no avatar
User

gsenroc

by gsenroc » Sun Apr 06, 2014 3:35 pm

I'll try looking into the codes, but I have no experience with GitHub and ARM hardware. I'm reading everything I can find on the wiki, any advice or tips for a start will be much appreciated.
no avatar
User

canadaflyer

Sun Aug 02, 2015 4:09 pm

by canadaflyer » Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:39 pm

I am very interested in this have not done pin port before but I am reading into it as much as possible(doesn't seem to complex) it seems that there r all the input outputs needed and the mini would just be so small and sweet

If I get it figured out will definitely do a right up it(what changes to make to what files) will be few weeks before I get one in the mail to do any tests. lets work together don't seem so hard as long as no surprises pop up on pin porting

Most of it should be as simple as define new pins
no avatar
User

ernieift

Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:21 am

by ernieift » Thu Aug 06, 2015 4:12 am

You should read the datasheet (alternate function table). Than you can change the code in hwdefs.c to remap the pins. It is done within the timer structures. Don't forget to create a new target later.