Running TauLabs software on hardware that isn't supported? Work with others to get a new platform supported.
no avatar
User

icee

Thu Apr 02, 2015 8:00 pm

Re: Brain FPV Flight Controller

by icee » Sun Nov 08, 2015 5:52 pm

Eremit wrote:Well... It is stated, that s.bus only works if no ppm or pwm mode is selected. Wich means, that you cannot use the ppm/2 servo out/uart combination any more. So the brain, when it comes to using s.bus, is loosing 2 serial connections at once? Can this be true?

Where'd you see this? In Tau it's fine if you have multiple receiver types activated at once (even with PPM disconnected). Just need to make sure to have all channels specify "SBus" in the input configuration.
no avatar
User

ufoDziner

Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:34 pm

Anaheim, CA

by ufoDziner » Sun Nov 08, 2015 6:17 pm

Quote shortened

Eremit wrote:Was thinkig about changing the radio (taranis) wich means I had to use s.bus to have more than 8 Channels, whatever that's good for)
Well... It is stated, that s.bus only works if no ppm or pwm mode is selected. Wich means, that you cannot use the ppm/2 servo out/uart combination any more. So the brain, when it comes to using s.bus, is loosing 2 serial connections at once? Can this be true?

Did anyone with the same problem found a good solution? Is there a s.bus to ppm/pwm - encoder able to send the first 8 channels to the brain via ppm and the other ones to pwm-pins for direct servo control? Or can these converters have more than 8 channels on one ppm-Line?

Hello,
I use a Taranis and S.BUS with my BrainFPV controllers with PWM outputs in the following manner:

S.BUS input on the Main Port
Rx Port set to "Outputs"

Setup in that manner, you have outputs 1-4 on the servo pins and 6-10 coming out of the Rx port.

Is that what you're after?
no avatar
User

Eremit

Sat Apr 18, 2015 2:49 am

by Eremit » Fri Nov 13, 2015 11:53 am

Hi,

Where did I seen this? Well, it's from the BrainFPV Helpdesk:

"The 3 wires from the S.Bus receiver need to be connected to the GND, 5V,
and RX pins (GND: 1, 5V: 2, RX: 4) of the MainPort. The S.Bus signal is
3.3V, so it won't blow up the Brain :). When setting it up, make sure that
the RxPort doesn't have a PWM or PPM mode selected; otherwise the S.Bus
receiver won't work."

And no, switching the receiver Port to pwm out, doesn't help that much, because you have one serial port blocked with the s.bus, and another one gone - that of the receiver port in PPM/UART/PWM-Out - Mode. I can conncet GPS with that still, but no external Compass (no I2C left) und no telemetry or bluetooth module.

I like the brain becaus of his OSD, but I used a Quanton before - much more space, much more (standard) pins... I learned to miss that on the brainFPV. Want to have a brainWithLotsOfPins...

I think' Ill use an s.bus to PPM conversion, but to be honest, that doesn't look like an elegant solution.
no avatar
User

pug398

Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:26 am

by pug398 » Fri Nov 13, 2015 1:13 pm

Just putting this out there because I am curious :) So you can have sbus on main port, ext compass on flex port and gps on rx port and you have built in OSD. You can configure the brain that way correct? Or you could use ppm and still have the additional serial on main?
no avatar
User

Eremit

by Eremit » Fri Nov 13, 2015 6:12 pm

Right. But then I loose PWN-Out 5 and PWM-Out 6, at least one requiered for cam nick compensation (or HexaCopter motors). While the brain is short on UARTs, it is also short on output channels.

"Where'd you see this? In Tau it's fine if you have multiple receiver types activated at once (even with PPM disconnected). Just need to make sure to have all channels specify "SBus" in the input configuration."
Last edited by Eremit on Fri Nov 13, 2015 7:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
no avatar
User

pug398

Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:26 am

by pug398 » Fri Nov 13, 2015 7:05 pm

So you are not able to configure it as shown on the hardware support page?
Attachments
brain_rx_port.PNG
brain_rx_port.PNG (4.39 KiB) Viewed 2065 times
no avatar
User

Eremit

by Eremit » Fri Nov 13, 2015 7:45 pm

Well, I tried: First switched off all the ppm/pwm on receiver port, activating s.bus: works. Then I set receiver Port to PPM/UART/PWM-O. Telemetrie shows input in red then. Unter system/receiver activity I could see some response to stick movement, but not in Manual Control Command... So it is probably taulabs blocking it?
no avatar
User

Eremit

by Eremit » Fri Nov 13, 2015 7:50 pm

No no no. It works now!
Well, I wasn't actually eager to falsify the Help Desk :-) But now I can use s.bus with only one port occupied, and that's ok. Thank you guys for making me doubting the help desk's opinion!
no avatar
User

ufoDziner

Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:34 pm

Anaheim, CA

by ufoDziner » Tue Nov 17, 2015 4:12 am

I just added a servo for camera tilt connected to output #4. Outputs 5-8 are running my speed controls. When I tried to set up the servo using the "Quad X" Vehicle Type, I couldn't find a way to assign it's output. The only way that I could find a way was to use a "Custom" vehicle type. Is there some guidance on this that anyone can point me to, so that I don't have to use the "Custom" vehicle? Thanks
User

VArcht

Thu Mar 06, 2014 5:24 am

by VArcht » Tue Nov 17, 2015 1:38 pm

ufoDziner wrote:I just added a servo for camera tilt connected to output #4. Outputs 5-8 are running my speed controls. When I tried to set up the servo using the "Quad X" Vehicle Type, I couldn't find a way to assign it's output. The only way that I could find a way was to use a "Custom" vehicle type. Is there some guidance on this that anyone can point me to, so that I don't have to use the "Custom" vehicle? Thanks

Should be able to set it in the UAVObject Browser, ManualControlSettings and maybe MixerSettings?
PreviousNext