For discussion on any the supported hardware platforms, such as TauLabs, Quantec, OpenPilot or the STMicro Discovery platforms.
no avatar
User

ufoDziner

Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:34 pm

Anaheim, CA

Sparky2 CAN Bus

by ufoDziner » Sun Sep 06, 2015 8:53 pm

Hi Guys,
I'm looking to get some of these http://autoquad.org/esc32/ ESC32 speed controllers for an upcoming build. They have the ability to connect via CAN Bus, and I'd like to use that for communication with my Sparky2. I was looking at the GCS and couldn't find a way to select CAN Bus as an output. Can someone point me in the correct direction to figure out how to set this up, as I don't want to buy 4 of these and not be able to use the CAN Bus system with them. Thanks in advance.
no avatar
User

tracernz

Mon Apr 06, 2015 7:46 am

Re: Sparky2 CAN Bus

by tracernz » Mon Sep 07, 2015 8:40 am

To my knowledge we don't yet support CAN ESCs.
no avatar
User

ufoDziner

Anaheim, CA

by ufoDziner » Mon Sep 07, 2015 1:42 pm

Thanks for the reply. If it doesn't, then I'm pretty disappointed. These sort of capabilities are one of the reasons I bought this board. The information on the GitHub page should probably be changed if there is no support, as it that would be a bit misleading.

"CAN Bus which is very useful for talking to external devices like the brushless gimbal to coordinate POI tracking or control the gimbal pitch from transmitter. Also CAN enabled ESCs are coming out which will allow serious improvements in flight quality."
no avatar
User

tracernz

Mon Apr 06, 2015 7:46 am

by tracernz » Mon Sep 07, 2015 10:13 pm

Well it's in progress, just takes time. ;) The ESC32v3 was only released less than a month ago IIRC and prior to that there were NO CAN ESCs commercially available.

The TL-ESC hardware files are at https://github.com/peabody124/misc_hard ... ter/TL-ESC but the project has kind of died. I recently ordered a batch of the PCBs and all the components but don't have any time to work on it for a while. Now that there is a commercial alternative there is more incentive to get this going, just need time to work on it.
User

peabody124

Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:33 pm

by peabody124 » Tue Sep 08, 2015 11:52 pm

If someone wants to send me an ESC32v3 and links to the CAN protocol (if documented) I could try and implement support. I can't make promises on my time, but it's something I would really like to see.
no avatar
User

ufoDziner

Anaheim, CA

by ufoDziner » Tue Sep 08, 2015 11:59 pm

Thanks for the replies guys. As much as I'd like to use them, it looks like I'll go the KISS route.
User

peabody124

Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:33 pm

by peabody124 » Wed Sep 09, 2015 12:02 am

I updated the wiki to emphasize no current support for that. I really intended to get my ESCs working on it at least, I think ESC feedback is really key for taking the control schemes up a level. It's just time, and creating a line of ESCs is tough (look at my blog a few years back)

Sorry if you felt mislead!
User

strips

Sat Sep 20, 2014 9:44 pm

Norway, Åros

by strips » Wed Sep 09, 2015 12:21 pm

UltraESC 35A might be a good option when they get out. I think Flyduino / Felix will focus on them now that KISS 30A and ESC32v3 are out.

I hope they will be in a price range for us mortals!
no avatar
User

ufoDziner

Anaheim, CA

by ufoDziner » Wed Sep 09, 2015 1:00 pm

peabody124 wrote:I updated the wiki to emphasize no current support for that. I really intended to get my ESCs working on it at least, I think ESC feedback is really key for taking the control schemes up a level. It's just time, and creating a line of ESCs is tough (look at my blog a few years back)

Sorry if you felt mislead!

Thanks for the reply. I'm still quite happy with my decision to use the Sparky2. IMO, there isn't another FC that is close regarding its ability to grow with market changes.

I completely understand the time aspect as well. I'll go the KISS route for now, and will hopefully get to use CAN Bus versions in the near-ish future.
no avatar
User

auturgy

Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:42 am

Australia

by auturgy » Tue May 24, 2016 10:10 pm

What is the CAN implementation? Are you using http://uavcan.org/ ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Next