For discussion on any the supported hardware platforms, such as TauLabs, Quantec, OpenPilot or the STMicro Discovery platforms.
no avatar
User

wilhelmsen

Fri Oct 09, 2015 6:31 pm

Able to flash Sparky2 but it disconnects from USB

by wilhelmsen » Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:13 pm

Hi,

I was so unfortunate to short the filtered 12V going from my battery via a filter to my camera connector which touched the carbon frame. A flash and some smoke later I pulled the battery, and discovered that my Sparky2 is not working properly.

First I tried connecting to GCS, Windows finds it but as soon as it enumerates as a game controller (both my Sparky2 and taulink does this), it disconnects and retries. The disconnection happens every ~7 seconds.

I was able to go into rescue mode, find the bootloader and flash fw_sparky2.tflw. Everything succeeds but still I have the same behaviour. Shorting SBL and using DfuSeDemo found the STM's bootloader, I converted the bl_sparky2 to .dfu from the .bin file using the DfuFileMgr.exe that comes with DduSe v3.0.5, went to GCS, it finds the bootloader and flashes firmware correctly but still no success.
I have checked power out from diodes and regulators, and everything seems normal. Any idea on where things might have gone wrong? Sparky2 got 5V from a BEC, and was not in the route of the camera, so I don't understand how the fc should be affected by this 12V short (some power spike somewhere on the 5V maybe?)

Any ideas on where to search next before I desolder the STM chip?
no avatar
User

tarasuk

Tue Oct 14, 2014 1:12 pm

Minneapolis, Minnesota

Re: Able to flash Sparky2 but it disconnects from USB

by tarasuk » Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:48 pm

Check 3.3V regular first. This was the component burned during the crash on my Quanton controller.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
no avatar
User

tarasuk

Tue Oct 14, 2014 1:12 pm

Minneapolis, Minnesota

Re: Able to flash Sparky2 but it disconnects from USB

by tarasuk » Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:49 pm

...I meant "regulator" (spell checker corrected it wrong :-)

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
no avatar
User

wilhelmsen

Fri Oct 09, 2015 6:31 pm

[SOLVED] Able to flash Sparky2 but it disconnects from USB

by wilhelmsen » Mon Jul 04, 2016 11:28 am

All power lines were good, so I swapped out the stm32. This didn't work either, and the solution became to flash the version before latest release and then upgrade. I'm glad I replaced the stm either way, because something went wrong there, but it was a real headache figuring out that the latest firmware didn't work when starting from scratch, and that I had to flash the older version first then upgrade to the latest through gcs.