For discussion on any the supported hardware platforms, such as TauLabs, Quantec, OpenPilot or the STMicro Discovery platforms.

Brainfpv SUMD rx USART?

no avatar
User

Peterev

Sun Oct 25, 2015 2:42 am

Brainfpv SUMD rx USART?

by Peterev » Sat Nov 21, 2015 11:40 am

I made the mistake last night of not checking the 8 pin rx cable for my second Brainfpv and blew my Graupner GR-12 up as the red and black cables had been transposed and there's no reverse polarity protection on the rx, damn.. :( :(

So I can order a new GR-12L from Amazon for delivery tomorrow (Sunday) but that rx uses SUMD not SUMO PPM. I think that the Brainfpv is happy accepting that signal (please see attachment) but before I order the L version, are there any disadvantages to using SUMD and rx USART or should I just stop being impatient and wait until next week when I can get a straight GR-12L?

Thanks for any advice/comment!
Attachments
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (51.11 KiB) Viewed 2633 times
User

shred

Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:50 am

Re: Brainfpv SUMD rx USART?

by shred » Sat Nov 21, 2015 12:30 pm

Hi Peter,

Sorry to hear about the damaged receiver.. the red wire should be 5V, so I can only assume that the wiring harness you received was wired the wrong way. Hit me (BrainFPV) up by e-mail and we will work something out to compensate you for the damage.

SUMD is supported (You will need to switch the RxPort to an "UART" mode though, or use one of the other ports). The disadvantage compared to using PPM is that you use up a serial port (so you can't do e.g. GPS, external compass, telemetry).
no avatar
User

Peterev

by Peterev » Sat Nov 21, 2015 1:10 pm

Hi Martin,

Thank you and thanks for your kind offer. I feel a bit stupid not checking the polarity myself first
and I have now swapped the wires over.

Excuse my ignorance here but if I change the rx port to UART mode HoTT SUMD and so not using up another port, will all the other ports still be available for use?

Peter.
no avatar
User

Peterev

by Peterev » Wed May 25, 2016 7:50 pm

Hi Martin,

New build.. I'm now using a GR-12L rx and have set the Brain as per the attached on a Y6 but nothing appears to be getting through as I can't calibrate the radio. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Peter.
Attachments
SUMD.JPG
SUMD.JPG (73.76 KiB) Viewed 2370 times
no avatar
User

Peterev

by Peterev » Wed May 25, 2016 7:50 pm

Btw, radio is bound fine, am getting rx telemetry on the tx..
User

shred

Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:50 am

by shred » Thu May 26, 2016 11:07 am

The problem is that the options that include PPM always make PPM the primary receiver. I just added a "UART + Outputs" option. You should be able to download a build ("artifact") from here:

https://github.com/d-ronin/dRonin/pull/1013

Note that the code above is untested. Please let me know if it works for you.

PS: There is no also a dRonin forum: https://forum.dronin.org/forum/