Discussion about development tools and environments, such as STLink, OpenOCD, arm-gcc, Eclipse, Qt Creator and Visual Studio.

Which target to build ?

no avatar
User

Aviraj

Tue Aug 11, 2015 1:14 pm

Which target to build ?

by Aviraj » Tue Aug 18, 2015 8:59 pm

Hi

I set up the windows build environment on Win7 by following all the instructions on the wiki and downloading and installing the necessary file. I have the paths in the sh.cmd file changed as well. When I enter the build environment by running 'sh' from cmd.exe, I navigate to the root directory where I have my TauLabs code and run 'make'. This gives me all the different targets available to build. My question is that if I make small software changes (for e.g. change something in a particular module), which target do I build and how will those changes be implemented on to my quadcopter ? Do I do a 'make all' or 'make <board>' or 'make gcs' or something else ? And then how do those changes get applied to the quadcopter.

These are some of the build targets that I see

git-targets.PNG
buildtargets
git-targets.PNG (58.28 KiB) Viewed 2969 times

Thanks in advance for the help :)
no avatar
User

icee

Thu Apr 02, 2015 8:00 pm

Re: Which target to build ?

by icee » Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:02 pm

You probably want something like make -j3 all .. which will build the firmware and GCS.

You can then run the GCS (assuming your compile works) by typing ./build/gcs/taulabsgcs.exe or something like that.

If you connect in the firmware updater from there, it'll open the correct build path to the firmware file for that target that you just built.
no avatar
User

Aviraj

by Aviraj » Wed Aug 19, 2015 1:12 pm

Thanks for the help and guidance icee. I did try ' make -j3 all ' , however I get errors in the file fw_aq32.bin.firmwareinfo.c . The images below show the errors as well as the code lines in the file that give the error.

git-aq32_errors_makeall.PNG
Errors when running make -j3 all
git-aq32_errors_makeall.PNG (48.93 KiB) Viewed 2946 times

fw_error_code.PNG
Lines with the errors
fw_error_code.PNG (13.02 KiB) Viewed 2946 times

May be you have encountered this before ? Or maybe the '.commit_hash_prefix' and '.timestamp' need to be changed ?

Thanks in advance :)
no avatar
User

RedoX

Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:15 pm

by RedoX » Wed Aug 19, 2015 1:35 pm

Hi,

I have the same problem when I download code from GitHub instead of using the GIT version. I don't know if it's related to the version of Python or something else...

A quick (and dirty) fix is: Edit the make/scripts/version-info.py file.
On line 105, replace self._hash = None by self._hash = "a"
On line 107, replace self.time = None by self._time = 1

It should compile correctly.

-RedoX
no avatar
User

Aviraj

by Aviraj » Wed Aug 19, 2015 1:39 pm

Thanks a lot redox. Seems like it works ! :) :)
no avatar
User

tracernz

Mon Apr 06, 2015 7:46 am

by tracernz » Wed Aug 19, 2015 9:26 pm

This happens when you're not building in a Git tree because the build script fetches some of the build information from Git. Did you download a zip file of the source code instead of cloning the Git repository? You should instead do "git clone https://github.com/TauLabs/TauLabs.git".
no avatar
User

Aviraj

by Aviraj » Thu Aug 20, 2015 1:44 pm

Yes I did download the zip file. The reason why I did that was because for some reason "git clone <....>" was not working at that point of time. However, I will try that again. Thanks :)