Discussion about development tools and environments, such as STLink, OpenOCD, arm-gcc, Eclipse, Qt Creator and Visual Studio.
no avatar
User

Aviraj

Tue Aug 11, 2015 1:14 pm

Development Environment in Win7

by Aviraj » Mon Aug 17, 2015 9:52 pm

Hi

I am extremely new to the TauLabs Development and I am trying to build the software for the very first time. I have followed all the instructions on the wiki and looked at the video for the openpilot platform too. I have downloaded and installed all the programs specified in the wiki and modified the sh.cmd file with the correct file paths. I have the the TauLabs code in C:/TauLabs and have copied the files from <top>\make\winx86\bin\* to \Git\bin and <top>\make\winx86\cmd\* to \Git\cmd. I have the sh.cmd added to my environment variables.

sh-paths.PNG
sh.cmd paths
sh-paths.PNG (25.72 KiB) Viewed 1689 times

What my question is that where am I supposed to navigate (which folder) while in the build environment (sh) ? What command do I execute to compile and build the code ? This may sound like a very stupid question but I am stuck on this !

I've tried navigating to C:/TauLabs/make/winx86/bin and then running 'make all' , however, that gives me "ming32-make: *** No rule to make target 'all'. Stop."

git-make.PNG
git - make command
git-make.PNG (7.18 KiB) Viewed 1689 times

I am sure I am doing it wrong. Please help me out !

Thanks a lot in advance :)
no avatar
User

tracernz

Mon Apr 06, 2015 7:46 am

Re: Development Environment in Win7

by tracernz » Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:46 pm

cd into the root TauLabs directory where you cloned the Git repository into (cd /c/TauLabs). Running make in there with no other arguments will give you a list of possible targets you can build.
no avatar
User

Aviraj

by Aviraj » Tue Aug 18, 2015 12:44 pm

Thanks a lot tracernz for your help. i just did that and now I see all the targets available. I am assuming that if I want to implement software changes that I made, and have those changes seen in the GCS, i'll have to do a 'make all' ?
no avatar
User

Aviraj

by Aviraj » Tue Aug 18, 2015 2:31 pm

I just tried doing a 'make-all' and as expected, it did not work ! It gives error related to the uavobjectgenerator. This is what my console looks like ........

git-errors.PNG
Errors
git-errors.PNG (126.12 KiB) Viewed 1660 times
no avatar
User

tracernz

by tracernz » Tue Aug 18, 2015 11:41 pm

Do you have Qt installed in the correct directory?
Note: when you run make qt_sdk_install, it will download the installer and run it, have a look in the terminal window where you're running make and it will give you the path you need to install Qt to (copy and paste it to the Qt installer wizard).
no avatar
User

Aviraj

by Aviraj » Wed Aug 19, 2015 2:37 pm

Thanks tracernz. The Qt installation was the problem I guess. I did it again by running 'make qt_sdk_install' and it seems to be working fine. I am now running the 'make fw_<board> ' command to build the firmware for the board (aq32 in my case) and I get a .tlfw file as the output (fw_aq32.tlfw). I know I can upload this file to the board by going to the Firmware tab in the GCS. I click on 'Open File' and choose the firmware file and it shows that file under Loaded. However after this, what do I need to do ? How do I write it to the board. This is what I am seeing

GCS_fw.PNG
GCS_fw.PNG (66.13 KiB) Viewed 1624 times

no avatar
User

tracernz

by tracernz » Wed Aug 19, 2015 9:29 pm

Click Halt to reboot the board into bootloader mode, the progress bar will start counting down until the board is booted, then the flash button should become available. Click flash and wait for it to erase, then flash the new firmware. Once complete click boot to exit bootloader mode and start the board.

Note: this is assuming the board already has the Tau Labs bootloader, perhaps it does not and this is the first time you're flashing it with Tau Labs?
no avatar
User

Aviraj

by Aviraj » Thu Aug 20, 2015 1:32 pm

Thanks tracernz. The board did have TauLabs bootloader on it. The flash happened successfully. However, now when I open the GCS, I see this message

GCS_fw_version.PNG
GCS version error
GCS_fw_version.PNG (36.01 KiB) Viewed 1593 times

As I result of this, I also see that all my previous configuration settings are missing. The GPS, RC Input, System Config etc. How do I fix this ? However, I can see the recent flash firmware date and hash in the firmware tab which shows that it flashed correctly.

Thanks
no avatar
User

RedoX

Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:15 pm

by RedoX » Thu Aug 20, 2015 1:39 pm

Hi Aviraj,

This warning is the result of the "fix" I told you to apply to compile your firmware. But it's not a real problem.

Your settings are missing because you flashed a new firmware, just reconfigure your board (and next time, export them before flashing so you can reload them after the update).

If you don't want to have this warning, instead of grabbing an archive, get the GIT sources, it should compile without any problem (assuming the devs didn't break anything) and the Python script will not fail, so both the GCS and the firmware will have the exact same version number.

-RedoX
no avatar
User

Aviraj

by Aviraj » Thu Aug 20, 2015 1:42 pm

Thanks Redox. I will try that out and let you know about the progress :)
Next