Discussion about development tools and environments, such as STLink, OpenOCD, arm-gcc, Eclipse, Qt Creator and Visual Studio.
User

shred

Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:50 am

Re: Building on windows machine

by shred » Fri Aug 15, 2014 7:08 pm

OK, I managed to build the Windows GCS in QtCreator. Unfortunately the segfault occurs deep inside Qt. Judging from the call-stack, inside Qt Quick. However, I only get the segfault if I run the GCS in virtual machine without 3D support.
User

shred

by shred » Fri Nov 07, 2014 4:52 pm

I'm once again struggling with building under Windows.. this time the firmware doesn't get build correctly, i.e., I get errors of the form (output of "make --debug fw_coptercontrol"):

win_make_fail.png
win_make_fail.png (10.37 KiB) Viewed 3052 times

So it seems like GCC doesn't generate a "fw_coptercontrol.map" file for some reason. This problem occurs using the current TauLabs/next branch. Tools I have installed:

• ARM toolchain: gcc-arm-none-eabi-4_7-2013q1-20130313-win32
  • MinGW that comes with the "MSYS" shell. I installed this because it allows installing GNU make, which is needed for the build process.
  • Python 2.7.3
  • Qt 5.3 (MinGW version)
  • Git
I assume the problem is with either the ARM toolchain, the shell, or make. I tried the latest GCC-4.8 toolchain and I got the same error. What shell/make are you guys using under Windows? As far as I can tell, the tools listed in the instructions on the wiki don't come with make.
User

shred

by shred » Fri Nov 07, 2014 6:44 pm

OK, I think I figure it out. I removed MinGW and installed copied the make and install programs (make.exe, libiconv2.dll, libintl3.dll, install.exe) from GnuWin32 into the C:\Git\cmd directory and run Git Bash as Administrator. For some reason, appending C:\GnuWin32\bin to PATH messes up the shell, but just copying the necessary files seems to work.
User

VArcht

Thu Mar 06, 2014 5:24 am

by VArcht » Fri Nov 07, 2014 6:58 pm

Good to know, I have gcs compiling in qt creator but wasn't having any luck with building from the console. I had installed MinGw too, maybe I'm running into something similar.

Be good if we can update the wiki on how to setup the tool chain with concise steps.
User

shred

by shred » Fri Nov 07, 2014 8:26 pm

VArcht wrote:Good to know, I have gcs compiling in qt creator but wasn't having any luck with building from the console. I had installed MinGw too, maybe I'm running into something similar.

Be good if we can update the wiki on how to setup the tool chain with concise steps.

Agreed regarding updating the wiki, I will be more than happy to help once I figured out how to build it. "make package" almost completed, but it fails for some reason building the translations:

Code: Select all
cd taulabs/translations/ && ( test -e Makefile || c:/Qt/5.3/mingw482_32/bin/qmake.exe C:/TauLabs/ground/gcs/share/taulab
s/translations/translations.pro -spec win32-g++ "CONFIG+=release " -o Makefile ) && C:/Git/cmd/make -f Makefile
C:/Git/cmd/make -f Makefile.Release
/C/Qt/5.3/mingw482_32/bin/lrelease C:/TauLabs/ground/gcs/share/taulabs/translations/taulabs_de.ts -qm taulabs_de.qm
process_begin: CreateProcess(NULL, /C/Qt/5.3/mingw482_32/bin/lrelease C:/TauLabs/ground/gcs/share/taulabs/translations/t
aulabs_de.ts -qm taulabs_de.qm, ...) failed.
make (e=2): The system cannot find the file specified.
make[6]: *** [taulabs_de.qm] Error 2
make[5]: *** [release] Error 2
make[4]: *** [sub-taulabs-translations-make_first] Error 2
make[3]: *** [sub-share-make_first-ordered] Error 2
make[2]: *** [gcs] Error 2
make[1]: *** [gcs] Error 2
make: *** [package] Error 2

Any ideas?
User

shred

by shred » Mon Nov 10, 2014 2:11 pm

I was able to fix the above problem by using a more recent make version from MinGW, so "GnuWin32" isn't needed. To summarize my setup:

• ARM toolchain: gcc-arm-none-eabi-4_7-2013q1-20130313-win32
  • Python 2.7.3
  • Qt 5.3 (MinGW version)
  • Git (installed under C:\Git)
  • Additional files copied from MinGW to C:\Git\cmd : dd.exe make.exe install.exe msys-iconv-2.dll msys-intl-8.dll

Code: Select all
PATH="C:\gcc-arm-none-eabi-4_7-2013q1-20130313-win32\bin;C:\Python27;C:\Qt\5.3\mingw482_32\bin;C:\Qt\Tools\mingw482_32\bin;C:\Git\bin;C:\Git\cmd"

EDIT: Forgot to mention, I use Git-Bash that comes with Git for Windows.
no avatar
User

droney

Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:25 am

by droney » Tue May 12, 2015 9:42 pm

Could use some help regarding building gcs on Windows. Using QT Creator (5.4), I built a release gcs binary. However, none of the QT dlls are present in the bin folder, causing gcs to complain at launch. Sure, I can copy the files or put links in, but I assume I am simply not running creator correctly. Ideas?
User

VArcht

by VArcht » Wed May 13, 2015 2:40 am

Not a very good solution but what I did was to look at a release build and gather up the debug DLL's to match and put them in the build folder. Probably some way to do it in the project settings but I am too much of a noob.
User

VArcht

by VArcht » Wed May 13, 2015 2:42 am

My current solution is to run Ubuntu in hyperV, still need to figure out how to pass through USB though.
User

guilhermito

Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:16 pm

by guilhermito » Wed May 13, 2015 9:55 am

Use "make standalone"
PreviousNext