Discussion about development tools and environments, such as STLink, OpenOCD, arm-gcc, Eclipse, Qt Creator and Visual Studio.

Process for making a release

User

shred

Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:50 am

Process for making a release

by shred » Mon Nov 10, 2014 2:16 pm

What is the process for making the release files (self-extracting .exe, .dmg, etc) that contain the GCS and firmware files? I was under the impression that "make standalone" does this, but it only builds the GCS for me.
User

metRo_

Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:26 pm

Re: Process for making a release

by metRo_ » Tue Nov 11, 2014 12:43 pm

If you do "make help" you can see all the commands. I think you want to use "make package".

package - Executes a make all_clean and then generates a complete package build for
standalone - Executes a make all_clean and compiles a package without packaging the GCS and all target board firmwares.
User

shred

by shred » Tue Nov 11, 2014 1:52 pm

metRo_ wrote:If you do "make help" you can see all the commands. I think you want to use "make package".

package - Executes a make all_clean and then generates a complete package build for
standalone - Executes a make all_clean and compiles a package without packaging the GCS and all target board firmwares.

I think on Windows this builds the installer using "NSIS", not the self-extracting .exe.
User

metRo_

Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:26 pm

by metRo_ » Tue Nov 11, 2014 1:55 pm

shred wrote:
metRo_ wrote:If you do "make help" you can see all the commands. I think you want to use "make package".

I think on Windows this builds the installer using "NSIS", not the self-extracting .exe.
Isn't the NSIS the app that create the self-extracting .exe?
User

shred

by shred » Tue Nov 11, 2014 2:00 pm

metRo_ wrote:Isn't the NSIS the app that create the self-extracting .exe?

Last time I tried it built the installer. In the current release there is an installer and a "portable" Windows package. I'm under the impression that "make package" builds the installer, not the portable version.
User

peabody124

Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:33 pm

by peabody124 » Tue Nov 11, 2014 5:17 pm

make package is the most common way. make standalone does the first part - makes a GCS that is bundled with its libraries. make package does the last step of bundling that up with the firmware into either .exe, .dmg, or .deb.

the portable build is made by jenkins and packages it up slightly differently. jenkins is magical. https://github.com/TauLabs/TauLabs/issues/1228 has more information on it though.
User

shred

by shred » Tue Nov 11, 2014 6:26 pm

Thanks! This is very helpful.