Discussion about development tools and environments, such as STLink, OpenOCD, arm-gcc, Eclipse, Qt Creator and Visual Studio.
User

jhitesma

Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:14 am

Yuma, AZ - USA

Linux Development setup

by jhitesma » Sun Oct 12, 2014 4:14 am

I've been using the VM for development but today reached a point where that just wasn't cutting it any longer. So instead I went ahead and setup a dev environment on my notebook. I was eventually able to build gcs, and flight firmware (I haven't tackled android over there yet but it shouldn't be too bad) but found a few things lacking in the wiki instructions. I made a small edit to the wiki updating the Prerequisites to include "libtool" and "automake" which I learned were missing when I tried to build "qt_sdk_install". I thought they were included in "built-essential" but apparently they aren't.

The next snag was trying to build "openocd_install" In addition to the prerequisites listed in the wiki I also had to add "aclocal" "libftdi-dev" "makeinfo" and "texinfo". And looking back at my notes it looks like this was what "libtool" and "automake" were needed for as well so I'm not sure why I added it to the main prerequisite list...I'm guess my daughter distracted me and I got confused.

Does anyone more familiar with the code know if libtool and automake are used by other bits or if they are only needed for "openocd_install"? I'm not in a big hurry to start from scratch again to figure out if I was correct in adding them to the main prerequisites like I did this afternoon or if they really were only needed to setup the debugger :)
User

peabody124

Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:33 pm

Re: Linux Development setup

by peabody124 » Sun Oct 12, 2014 6:32 pm

I don't believe anything in our code uses either of those smart tools.
User

shred

Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:50 am

by shred » Sun Oct 12, 2014 7:42 pm

What Linux distribution are you using? openocd may be in the package repository, so I would simply install it from there. So you won't need automake, as it is only needed to compile openocd.
User

jhitesma

Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:14 am

Yuma, AZ - USA

by jhitesma » Sun Oct 12, 2014 10:43 pm

It's Ubuntu and I can't remember the version off the top of my head but I did get a notice this morning that updates are no longer available for it and I'm overdue for an upgrade.

I edited my edit to the wiki to list those as requirements for building openocd instead of as general prerequisites.

I wasn't sure if "make openocd_install" did anything more than just build and install openocd in the ./tools directory. I had thought about just trying to install an openocd package but I wasn't in a hurry and figured the other make targets for setting up a build environment worked so well I may as well just let the one for openocd do it's thing as well. Just didn't expect to run into so many tools I was missing!
User

inbilla

Mon Nov 03, 2014 8:33 am

by inbilla » Sat Dec 06, 2014 12:31 pm

I've just gone through this process under Ubuntu 14.4, (installing prereqs for openocd as per the wiki)

makeinfo package doesn't exist - apparently the command exists inside texinfo package
aclocal package doesn't exist - apparently the command exists inside automake package

So perhaps these two shouldn't be in the list? could easily be distro specific though...

Edit: A quick followup- This did make openocd_install in ubuntu 14.4 (after removing makeinfo and aclocal from the build-deps command)
User

QuercusPetraea

Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:36 am

by QuercusPetraea » Wed Dec 10, 2014 9:01 am

I have installed TauLabs-next under Ubuntu 14.4, works almost everything but the command make stm32flash_install returns, in the phase of DOWNLOAD, the message:
"DOWNLOAD http://stm32flash.googlecode.com/svn/trunk @ 61
/ bin / sh: 1: svn: not found ", and therefore I can not load the bootloader.
Moreover, the command make dfuutil_install tells me "http://dfu-util.gnumonks.org name or service not known" and in fact the web page is not available.
User

CheBuzz

Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:19 pm

by CheBuzz » Sun Dec 21, 2014 3:15 am

QuercusPetraea wrote:I have installed TauLabs-next under Ubuntu 14.4, works almost everything but the command make stm32flash_install returns, in the phase of DOWNLOAD, the message:
"DOWNLOAD http://stm32flash.googlecode.com/svn/trunk @ 61
/ bin / sh: 1: svn: not found ", and therefore I can not load the bootloader.
Moreover, the command make dfuutil_install tells me "http://dfu-util.gnumonks.org name or service not known" and in fact the web page is not available.

Your first error is because subversion is not installed. Run "sudo apt-get install subversion" and that should fix that.

I don't know about the second problem. Perhaps a vanishing web page.
User

QuercusPetraea

Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:36 am

by QuercusPetraea » Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:37 am

CheBuzz wrote:
Your first error is because subversion is not installed. Run "sudo apt-get install subversion" and that should fix that.

I don't know about the second problem. Perhaps a vanishing web page.

Thanks for the reply. Subversion installed and now stmflash finally works.
no avatar
User

Therflub

Tue Mar 22, 2016 9:33 pm

Russia

Linux Development setup

by Therflub » Sat Apr 02, 2016 1:32 pm

Is there a Sabayon Linux Advocacy group similar to that of Fedora or openSUSE that helps spread the word about Sabayon Linux?

___
SocPlugin: Modern application for mass posting in FB, VK, OK, Mamba
User

AndrewWem

Sat Nov 19, 2016 7:31 am

Malawi

Linux Development setup

by AndrewWem » Sun Nov 27, 2016 9:47 am

Hey guys I want to try linux out, so im looking into what distros to use and whatnot.

Just wanted to see if you guys have any tips for a beginner.

Specifically, I want to be able to use eclipse. The most important thing to me is to be unhindered in my java development. I dont game much, at least not on pc, so Im not fussed about games.

Any thoughts?
Next