Discussion about development tools and environments, such as STLink, OpenOCD, arm-gcc, Eclipse, Qt Creator and Visual Studio.

Bulding problem in the VM

no avatar
User

gsenroc

Thu Mar 27, 2014 6:45 pm

Bulding problem in the VM

by gsenroc » Mon Apr 28, 2014 4:43 pm

Hello,

I tried to build the flight project using the VM provided in the wiki, but it doesn't work as expected.

I pulled the latest code using git, then opened Eclipse, set FlyingF4 as active, right clicked TauLabs Flight, then "Build project". It should work as shown in the video, but I got this error:

Code: Select all
18:38:34 **** Incremental Build of configuration flyingf4 for project TauLabs Flight ****
make -j1 flyingf4
make[1]: Nothing to be done for `first'.
- Tau Labs UAVObject Generator -
Done: processed 106 XML files and generated 106 objects with no ID collisions. Total size of the data fields is 3433 bytes.
generating flight code
 CC          flight/PiOS/Common/Libraries/FreeRTOS/Source/croutine.c
make[1]: arm-none-eabi-gcc: Command not found
make[1]: *** [/home/taulabs/Code/TauLabs/build/fw_flyingf4/croutine.o] Error 127
make: *** [fw_flyingf4_tlfw] Error 2

18:38:34 Build Finished (took 408ms)

Looks like the gcc toolchain is broken? Does anyone know how I can fix it? Thanks!
no avatar
User

gsenroc

Re: Bulding problem in the VM

by gsenroc » Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:08 pm

I guess I sorted it out buy adding PATH in Eclipse. I can build it now, but I've got a stupid question: how do I obtain the bootloader for flyingF4?
no avatar
User

gsenroc

by gsenroc » Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:32 pm

I sorted it out again, quite nice experience for me though as I'm not familiar with programming with a real project :lol:

I used the terminal to do it, by adding the PATH variable of the toolchain using

export PATH=$PATH:/home/taulabs/Code/TauLabs/tools/gcc-arm-none-eabi-4_7-2013q1/bin

Then simply type

make all_bl

Now I have the bootloader in the build directory, hope I can manage to make my STM32F407 dev board fly :D
no avatar
User

Tim

Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:00 am

by Tim » Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:24 pm

glad you sorted it out :) have fun!
no avatar
User

Danveal

Fri Apr 04, 2014 3:52 pm

by Danveal » Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:49 pm

gsenroc wrote:I guess I sorted it out buy adding PATH in Eclipse. I can build it now,

Hi,
I have the same problem
Can you tell me how to add the path in eclipse?

Thanks

EDIT: the path is in /make/tools.mk
User

jhitesma

Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:14 am

Yuma, AZ - USA

by jhitesma » Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:43 pm

I also ran into some issues using the VM. It appears that the VM is a little out of date.

My first issue was that the VM linked from (https://github.com/TauLabs/TauLabs/wiki ... al-machine) just flat out didn't work. I spent most of an afternoon messing with it but just got a bunch of errors from virtualbox about the drive file missing or being in the wrong place or something else just being messed up. I downloaded the VM twice just to be sure but never got it to start. I found this thread on the old google groups forums which included a link to the VM packaged in a .zip instead of a .tar.gz and that version worked first try no problem: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic ... Rlsp3ftDsI

The "make[1]: arm-none-eabi-gcc: Command not found" error is actually because the version of arm-none-eabi-gcc installed in the VM's tools directory is older than the one currently specified in the make scripts. Since the version number is part of the path that means you get the command not found error.

Quick fix for this is to just follow the steps on the Linux setup page: https://github.com/TauLabs/TauLabs/wiki ... inux-setup specifically to build the flight code you have to run "make arm_sdk_install" first.

Before building the GCS you'll have to do "make qt_sdk_install" since the version of qt in the VM is older than GCS currently requires. I went through the full setup again in my VM just to see if anything else needed updating but IIRC the only other bit I found was the jpeg libraries were a bit out of date and "sudo apt-get install libjpeg8 libjpeg62" took care of that.

I haven't tried to build the android code or setup openocd yet.....the GCS build took over 2.5 hours and it was after 1AM when I started it last night so I kind of ran out of time :D

I thought about updating the wiki about the VM with this info but wasn't sure what the policies are about editing the wiki.