Development discussion of TauLabs software such as flight controllers, sensors, radios and speed controllers.
no avatar
User

jihlein

Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:01 pm

Taranis Telemetry for Taulabs

by jihlein » Sun Aug 02, 2015 1:47 pm

Here's a telemetry script for the Taranis I've been working on. It's derived from a script for the Naza I found on GIT.

It works with the latest updates to the Taulabs FrSky sensor hub and sport telemetry modules. These changes are only on the next branch at the moment.

In my case, I'm using a Taranis Plus with D4R-II receiver, sensor hub telemetry enabled. It should work with Sport telemetry too, but I have not tested that.

Here's a link to the necessary files:

http://1drv.ms/1N4aQQW

In the zip file, the 3 files are:
1) MultiCopter.bin, which is the Taranis model and needs to be placed in the folder Models on the Taranis SD card
2)Folder BMP which has the necessary bitmaps and needs to placed in the folder SCRIPTS on the Taranis SD card
3)Folder MultiRotor which has the Lua script and also has to be placed in the SCRIPTS folder.

You can set this up on OpenTx Companion and become familiar with it (highly recommended) before trying it on the actual radio.

Some quick descriptions:

1)Six flight modes. Switch E has modes 1 thru 3 when switch G and switch F are in the rear position. Switch G has modes 4 and 5 when switch G is in the rear position. Switch G has mode 6. So modes 4 and 5 have priority over modes 1 thru 3, and mode 6 has priority over modes 1 thru 5. Not as complicated as it sounds. Found this switch setup on the OpenPilot forum. For my purposes, the 6 modes are defined as follows: Acro, Level, Stab1, Alt Hold, Pos Hold, RTH.

2)Rotary input S1 chooses the battery voltage to be monitored. Fully clockwise, 3s, centered, 4s, fully counter clockwise, 6s.

3)Switch D up, battery warning voice alerts active. Switch D centered, battery warning voice alerts muted. Switch D down clears the timer.

4)Switch B up, disarmed. Switch B in any other position, armed.

5)Timer 1 runs only when armed and the throttle value is greater than 5%.

6)Transmitter channels 1 thru 8 are throttle, aileron, elevator, rudder, mode, aux1, rssi, and arm respectively.

The telemetry display shows:

1)Battery voltage and number of cells being monitored (3s, 4s, or 6s).
2)RSSI
3)Selected flight mode and arm state. This has all the TauLabs enumerations, so if you change a mode, it will be displayed correctly.
4)Timer 1
5)Home position status. The check means it has been set.
6)GPS status
7)GPS satellite count
8)GPS hDop and vDop. Maximum values displayed fro each is 2.55. Above that the values are dashed out.

I've flown with this a few times, and it appears to be working. It's still a work in progress, so experiment with it carefully.
Attachments
telem1.JPG
telem1.JPG (39.75 KiB) Viewed 6299 times
Last edited by jihlein on Sun Nov 15, 2015 1:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
User

dandys

Sat Mar 01, 2014 8:25 pm

Czech republic

Re: Taranis Telemetry for Taulabs

by dandys » Sun Aug 02, 2015 3:04 pm

Very nice!

See also my script (based on work of Marco Ricci). Works with OpenTx >=2.1 and requires some changes to TauLabs (sending attitude angles) which will be suject of PR very soon ;)

Script is especially good for IFR flying when battery in your goggles runs out or you lost video signal and you don't want to rely on RTH (yes, happened to me, yes it was a motivation for this).

Just flew it few hours ago and worked just fine, but there will certainly be some modifications in the future, so stay tuned and user at your risk!

Script: https://gist.github.com/xdandys/67612d119be6e0b4841e - intended to be placed in SDCARD/SCRIPTS/TELEMETRY

no avatar
User

jihlein

Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:01 pm

by jihlein » Sun Aug 02, 2015 3:14 pm

That's cool!! Sending attitude angles in place of accels?

Been avoiding it, but looks like I may have to try updating my Taranis to 2.1, right now I'm running 2.0.17.
User

dandys

Sat Mar 01, 2014 8:25 pm

Czech republic

by dandys » Sun Aug 02, 2015 3:32 pm

jihlein wrote:That's cool!! Sending attitude angles in place of accels?

Exactly. And PR is now online: https://github.com/TauLabs/TauLabs/pull/1766/
no avatar
User

UKTamo

Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:09 pm

by UKTamo » Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:45 pm

@dandys

Hey, Nice work on the script. I'm going to test it out against my anysense module (http://anysense.org/products/anysense-telemetry-module/)

Just wondering if you had a list of variables it takes in?

Thanks

Thomas
User

Holzleim

Wed Jul 15, 2015 5:41 am

Germany, near Bonn

by Holzleim » Thu Sep 10, 2015 5:58 pm

Hi dandys,

in the script you mention:
"-- note: getting GPS coordinates currently requires a tiny patch to OpenTx firmware to work"

And indeed, on my Taranis (FW 2.1.2) the scrpit terminates as soon as I receive GPS telemetry data from my model.

What has to be done to resolve this?

Thanks in advance,
Best Regards,
Thomas
no avatar
User

UKTamo

by UKTamo » Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:32 pm

Interesting, works fine on FW 2.1.something for me
User

Holzleim

Wed Jul 15, 2015 5:41 am

Germany, near Bonn

by Holzleim » Fri Sep 11, 2015 7:07 am

Now running 2.1.3, still the same....

@uktamo: Do you have the "GPS" sensor in your Taranis as it came from its sensor-autodetect mechanism, or did you adjust things here?
no avatar
User

UKTamo

by UKTamo » Fri Sep 11, 2015 2:36 pm

Just as it comes, nothing fancy.
no avatar
User

trend.ab

Thu Nov 12, 2015 8:05 am

by trend.ab » Thu Nov 12, 2015 8:12 am

Dear Jihlein - I would love to download this script and use it, but it seems that the link is broken.
Would you mind checking that for me?
Thanks!

jihlein wrote:Here's a telemetry script for the Taranis I've been working on. It's derived from a script for the Naza I found on GIT.

It works with the latest updates to the Taulabs FrSky sensor hub and sport telemetry modules. These changes are only on the next branch at the moment.

In my case, I'm using a Taranis Plus with D4R-II receiver, sensor hub telemetry enabled. It should work with Sport telemetry too, but I have not tested that.

Here's a link to the necessary files:

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=6 ... file%2czip

In the zip file, the 3 files are:
1) MultiCopter.bin, which is the Taranis model and needs to be placed in the folder Models on the Taranis SD card
2)Folder BMP which has the necessary bitmaps and needs to placed in the folder SCRIPTS on the Taranis SD card
3)Folder MultiRotor which has the Lua script and also has to be placed in the SCRIPTS folder.

You can set this up on OpenTx Companion and become familiar with it (highly recommended) before trying it on the actual radio.

Some quick descriptions:

1)Six flight modes. Switch E has modes 1 thru 3 when switch G and switch F are in the rear position. Switch G has modes 4 and 5 when switch G is in the rear position. Switch G has mode 6. So modes 4 and 5 have priority over modes 1 thru 3, and mode 6 has priority over modes 1 thru 5. Not as complicated as it sounds. Found this switch setup on the OpenPilot forum. For my purposes, the 6 modes are defined as follows: Acro, Level, Stab1, Alt Hold, Pos Hold, RTH.

2)Rotary input S1 chooses the battery voltage to be monitored. Fully clockwise, 3s, centered, 4s, fully counter clockwise, 6s.

3)Switch D up, battery warning voice alerts active. Switch D centered, battery warning voice alerts muted. Switch D down clears the timer.

4)Switch B up, disarmed. Switch B in any other position, armed.

5)Timer 1 runs only when armed and the throttle value is greater than 5%.

6)Transmitter channels 1 thru 8 are throttle, aileron, elevator, rudder, mode, aux1, rssi, and arm respectively.

The telemetry display shows:

1)Battery voltage and number of cells being monitored (3s, 4s, or 6s).
2)RSSI
3)Selected flight mode and arm state. This has all the TauLabs enumerations, so if you change a mode, it will be displayed correctly.
4)Timer 1
5)Home position status. The check means it has been set.
6)GPS status
7)GPS satellite count
8)GPS hDop and vDop. Maximum values displayed fro each is 2.55. Above that the values are dashed out.

I've flown with this a few times, and it appears to be working. It's still a work in progress, so experiment with it carefully.
Next