Prefer your wings to move at the same speed as your aircraft? This is for you.

Ritewing Zephyr 3

no avatar
User

reddog

Sat Mar 15, 2014 6:16 am

Ritewing Zephyr 3

by reddog » Fri Sep 26, 2014 11:10 pm

Since I have flown the Zephyr II and ZXL and loved them, when Ritewing released the Zephyr 3, I knew I was going to have to buy it. It has the fantastic flying characteristics of the Zephyr and ZXL with the payload space/flexibility that I have always wanted. I should say at this point I do not have personal experience flying it, only youtube/vimeo videos.

My hardware setup is as follows:

Any changes to my hardware setup during building etc will be discussed below and reflected here.

Motor
I have used a couple of different Turnigy Aerodrive motors with the Zephyr II and ZXL but wanted to go with a smaller and lighter motor for the Zephry 3. I considered:
- Hyperion ZS 3014-12 but at $130, the efficiency gains were not worth the price.
- Eflite Power 25 1250kv (which I already have) but its a bit on the heavy side.
I finally settled on the:
Turnigy Aerodrive 3536 1200Kv (111g)

ESC
I have always used the Turnigy Plush 80amp ESC in the Zephyr and ZXL because they are the same weight as the Plush 60amp. I decided to use a Turnigy Plush 60amp as I had a new one and only used Turnigy Plush 80amp ESCs.

Propellor
If I am going to run the 3536 1200kv, I need to keep the current draw reasonable. I could use a 9 or 10 inch prop but since I have some Turnigy wood 9x6, I am going to use them as I like the wood props more than the plastic APC props.

Servos
I learned long ago that stabilization works much better with faster servos, similarly to how upgrading to SimonK firmware makes multirotors more stable. The Zephyr 3 can take both Standard and Park size servos and I already have a couple of different choices in both sizes. In the interests of keeping weight down I will be using the Bluebird BMS-393DMH servos.

Battery
I would like to get approx 30 mins flight time. I have the Turnigy Nanotech 5000mah and 6000mah 4S batteries available.

Autopilot
There isn't really a choice on this one, I am using the Quanton.

FPV Gear

1.3Ghz 400mw video transmitter with Mad Mushroom antenna
MinimOSD as the OSD. I would love to use the Draco OSD - viewtopic.php?f=21&t=154
GoPro HD Hero (version 1) as both recording and live camera with battery removed to save weight.

I have a ground station built into a pelican case. It receives the 1.3Ghz video and retransmits it on the 5.8Ghz frequency for my goggles.

Radio Gear
I would love to use a combined radio and telemetry radio. I am aware the OpenLRS can do both and I have the modules for it but I feel the telemetry speed and options for the OpenLRS are limited. I would love to use the RFD900 but there is no option to use them as a modem and receiver, which I think is a real shame. If I ever get the time to combine the OpenLRS with the RFD900 I will be using this option. I also have the EzUHF and will probably use that for manual control.
no avatar
User

reddog

Sat Mar 15, 2014 6:16 am

Re: Ritewing Zephyr 3

by reddog » Sun Oct 12, 2014 3:34 am

I received the Zephyr 3 a week or so ago and have started building it. At this point I feel privileged to own it.

So far I have changed over to a 60amp plush speed controller because I had a brand new one and I only had used 80amp speed controllers.

The larger space for components makes building a pleasure. Build time is also much shorter. The hardest part was cutting the wing spars.

Instead of mixing gorilla glue and water, mix the gorilla glue with a small amount of PVA glue. There are less big bubbles. Chris (from Ritewing) recommends mixing gorilla glue with Elmers glue, which is essentially PVA glue.