Post here for help with your new vehicles setup. Friendly advice on tuning and settings.
no avatar
User

firefly

Mon Mar 03, 2014 12:51 am

Question about "Tau Labs Getting Started-Episode 2"

by firefly » Fri May 09, 2014 9:29 am

hi all, I am a newbie
Here is my planning Quad turn steps from some videos(Tau Labs Getting Started-Episode 2 - Advanced Calibration) and WIKI pages, please help to check.
(Now I use GCS's default PID setting, quad can fly, but not perfect)
1) use the temperature cal, temperature from 25 to 45 slowly(can use the heat air blower),while the quad just sit still;
2) use the six point cal,and level cal;
3) fly the quad(in rate or attitude mode,or ether will be OK?), by slowly trimming the remoter's "pitch" and "roll" to let the quad fly stable;
4) use the GCS' Airframe Trimming- Set level angle, and move the remoter's trims to neutral ;
5) use the GCS' Autotune function to get the PID
about the Autotune's step from the GCS's warning

Take off, change flight mode to autotune, and focus on keeping the UAV in the air while it's shaking.
In the first few seconds, nothing will happen...
then the UAV will abrupty increase power and start rolling right and left for around 30 seconds...
then the UAV will start pitching forward and backwards for about 30 seconds...
then finally the UAV will abrupty reduce power and oscillations will stop. The flight phase is completed.

does this mean when in the Autotune step, I only need to use the remoter's pitch and roll control the quad not crash something,and the regardless of the throttle. and finally the quad will lose throttle and land , then I can disarm quad, see whether the PID is reasonable or not, if OK, save the PID,change the autotune mode, disable the autotun function,save that's all.
no avatar
User

ernieift

Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:21 am

Re: Question about "Tau Labs Getting Started-Episode 2"

by ernieift » Fri May 09, 2014 4:27 pm

If you are happy with the result, it's done. Please take care of the output limits before autotune and try a high output rate for better results.
no avatar
User

pug398

Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:26 am

by pug398 » Fri May 09, 2014 6:03 pm

When you engage autotune it will fly normally for a few seconds and then gain altitude and start to shake. You will be in control of roll/pitch/throttle and will have to stay in constant control. Keep it flying for ~30 seconds and shaking will stop and power will be reduced. Land and follow rest of steps. If it is difficult to control before engaging autotune you may have to change default settings so it is flyable while autotune is working out the best values. For 450 size and larger starting roll/pitch PI values of 45/40 usually work for me and 85/60 for yaw.
no avatar
User

obguy99

Tue May 19, 2015 2:26 pm

by obguy99 » Sun Feb 07, 2016 2:57 pm

Is this thread still active?
I am flying TauLabs and having huge stability problem w my 450 quad flamewheel clone with 980 kv motors. I need to stabilize more before I can autotune. flying either 8 or 10 inch props. Are your numbers above still valid or have the parameters changed with tau labs. Thanks!
no avatar
User

pug398

by pug398 » Sun Feb 07, 2016 4:24 pm

I would say go lower. The defaults should allow you to do the autotune. If the clone arms are just nylon without fiber mixed in make sure your battery is not too big and heavy. The high weight coupled with arm flex makes for tough tuning. Goes from sloppy with low gains to immediately oscillating with slightly higher gains.
no avatar
User

obguy99

by obguy99 » Tue Feb 09, 2016 2:59 pm

thanks! I did just that. Up and flying. I had a bent arm that I hadn't even noticed that added another variable. Now straight, flying and autotuned! I appreciate your work on the forum pug398. I will attempt other flight modes than leveling and stabilized1 (on defaults). The stabilized 1 seems easiest to fly for a relative noob like myself. Any recommendations on things to try? Or graduated steps to try in the flight modes?
no avatar
User

obguy99

by obguy99 » Wed Feb 10, 2016 3:06 pm

Not exactly sure but I read in one of the posts that we should be attempting to decrease our "tau level" in autotuning. Sorry if it's obvious but how is that done?
I've done two autotunes but my tau level is 70.2 and then 65.4. It is a big 450 quad and flying much much better now. Should I still be working to optimize and getting that tau level down further?
Thanks! Also - stepwise approaches to trying new flight modes?
no avatar
User

pug398

by pug398 » Wed Feb 10, 2016 5:51 pm

Thanks I try to help where I can. Leveling mode sets stabilized on roll/pitch and axis lock on yaw and is probably the simplest. For a bit more excitement there is horizon mode. With short stick movements from center it is in stabilized mode but at stick extremes it transitions into rate mode allowing 360 flips. To accomplish this you would need a high gyro rate (1000-2000 set in hardware tab) and high stick scaling (>360 set in stabilization-advanced tab). Acro mode has no self leveling and is very quick on the sticks. Most racers prefer this as they have complete control. I crash a lot in this mode :)

Generally the bigger the machine the higher the tau. My 700 size quad has a tau of 140. Anything that can help reduce the time it takes for the quad to make an attitude change may help lower tau. Not many of my quads have a low tau because of their size and weight. If it does not feel "locked in" enough for you try running autotune again but decrease damping slightly and increase noise slightly (on sliders) before saving settings.
User

AndrewWem

Sat Nov 19, 2016 7:31 am

Malawi

Question about "Tau Labs Getting Started Episode 2"

by AndrewWem » Thu Nov 24, 2016 6:10 pm

Hi Steve, the discs should have a size id on their front face. Or power down your server, wait 30 seconds, then remove the one in question to read the back label.

As to replacement you can use any size the fits into your server. 5U or 1U/3U??