Post here for help with your new vehicles setup. Friendly advice on tuning and settings.
no avatar
User

hank.su1968

Sun Jan 10, 2016 4:57 pm

How to minimize drifting and damping in PH

by hank.su1968 » Wed Feb 03, 2016 4:57 pm

Dear senior members:

I have done test flights for PH, and now it's getting better. I found there are some problems drifting in horizontal direction and damping in vertical direction. I might guess something wrong with the six pooint calibration or my PID tuning, but there were no alarms. For PID, I would have run 2 or 3 times autotune to get the optimal tuning result.
How about the airframe assembly or other wire harness? I have taped most cables with copper foils and tried to put my sparky FC at proper location to isolate EMI interference. I really have no idea how to optimize the hardware setup of my quad for the next step.
The drifting and damping are not drastical, but kind of noisy. I checked the scope and found gyro and acc osslation even more than magometer. Is it possible to minimize or optimize the gyro and acc osslating?

Could I ask what to do to minimize drifting and damping in PH? I am sure not caused by gust because it’s windy.

Thanks in advance...
Last edited by hank.su1968 on Sun Feb 21, 2016 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

netwalker

Thu Dec 31, 2015 6:23 pm

Re: How to minimize drifting and damping in PH

by netwalker » Sat Feb 20, 2016 6:51 pm

Not senior by any means, but PH was a real mess for me until I did a complete physical reconfiguration of my 450 quad. To get it working correctly I had to mount my GPS on a pole, flight controller on the top plate away from any power sources and most importantly get the magnetometer calibrated correctly via the 6 point (it took at least 6 tries to get the heading to match true north). I've also set the GPS (NEO-7N) to both GNSS & GPS, and accuracy to Automotive mode.

I don't know what exact impact it has, but VelocityChangePrediction = True seemed to help damping.

I've also set:
HorizontalPosPI
kp = 1.2 m/s
ki = .6 m/s
limit 2 m/s

Start with a low number for MaxRollPitch (like 15 or so) and gradually increase it once you get your other settings tweaked better.

Keep your ThrottleControl = OFF until you get Altitude hold working correctly. This is a work in progress for me yet.

Keep both HorizontalVelMax and VerticalVelMax to 1-3 m/s until you trust it more.

Having a radio telemetry link to tweak these settings in real time was a huge help for me.

After all this I now have mine holding within a 3 foot circle in 20 mph winds. It's impressive.
no avatar
User

hank.su1968

Sun Jan 10, 2016 4:57 pm

Re: How to minimize drifting and damping in PH

by hank.su1968 » Sun Feb 21, 2016 3:37 am

Thanks very very much, netwalker. Maybe not senior, but the post is like professional.

I will try those parameters.

Thanks, again...