Post here for help with your new vehicles setup. Friendly advice on tuning and settings.
no avatar
User

Marc Dornan

Wed Nov 18, 2015 3:15 am

Brushed Sparky 2 cycles through reset on USB

by Marc Dornan » Sat Jan 30, 2016 4:30 pm

This happened while I was binding to an OP link module. I am not sure it is relevant but that process involved me connecting both my Oplink Mini and Sparky 2 to the same PC at the same time and that is when my issue started. I can successfully Rescue and reflash firmware but I cannot safe boot. I was initially able to connect before I started the Taulink bind process.

I seem to be effectively road blocked. It is not the USB cable. I have tried different ones and multiple computers. Same issue. Even without GCS started it chimes to connect and disconnect USB as though I was plugging and upnlugging it.

This seems to be exactly the same issue as shown with a Sparky 1 here: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=341 (will not let me post the URL so this should allow you to find this posting)

Do you think I could use this same firmware to erase the board on boot. Given that is a different board I am thinking I need something else.

Peabody do you have something I could use to flash that would erase by board and allow me to start from scratch and erase my settings? Every time I rescue and load the latest firmware I end up in the same loop. There must be a configuration setting in there that is doing this. In fact I would have though an option to nuke all settings when reflashing would be a good option to add. This seems to be the issue I have - corrupted settings.

Hope you can help as I am a little lost. Many thanks.

Marc
User

peabody124

Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:33 pm

Re: Brushed Sparky 2 cycles through reset on USB

by peabody124 » Sat Jan 30, 2016 4:40 pm

So a first easy thing to try. Go to rescue mode, like you plan to flash new firmware. In the lower right you should see a partition browser. Right click settings and select format. See if that resolves your issue.

For my curiosity, you could also download that partition first so I can attempt to figure out why
you end up in a boot loop.
no avatar
User

Marc Dornan

by Marc Dornan » Sat Jan 30, 2016 6:48 pm

Well that was easy. I had no idea that you can right click on that. Fixed. Should be airborne soon.

Thank you for the quick response.

Oh the forums link on the CGS is to the old google groups BTW.

I cannot attach a bin file (which is how my setting are saved)
no avatar
User

Marc Dornan

by Marc Dornan » Sun Jan 31, 2016 5:11 am

Well I was able to go around in circles. Erasing settings, uploading the supplied config file, binding, going into the same cycle of reboots (with firmware reflashing thrown in just for kicks). In the end I just deleted all partitions, including bootloader.

Is there a tutorial anywhere to flash a new bootloader? I will start from the very beginning. Been a while since I did this.

Being a software dev (not embedded though) and having done quite a few other FCs (Multwii, Megapirate/Cleanflight/Adrucopter) I was not expecting to be defeated so comprehensively by this.

(Written while tired).

When I get the bootloader back on I will do a video of installing the bootloader. Given that Sparkys' are targets for CF and TL it may be good to have a step by step tutorial.
no avatar
User

pug398

Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:26 am

by pug398 » Mon Feb 01, 2016 12:37 am

Marc there are different utilities to flash the bootloader back on and the easiest I have used is the ST Demo Loader. It think it is the mcu005 package on the ST site. It flashes via the uart on the main port so a usb-ttl adapter is needed. Jump boot pads, connect the adapter to the main port, run the utility, tell it which com port the adapter is on and the software should indicate connection to the mcu. Then flash the ef_target.bin file to the fc to flash firmware and bootloader together.
User

peabody124

by peabody124 » Mon Feb 01, 2016 12:52 am

Yeah, erasing the boot loader is a bit of a PITA. On OS X I use dfu-util, which is a command line program to upload the firmware.
no avatar
User

Marc Dornan

by Marc Dornan » Tue Feb 02, 2016 3:01 am

Thanks guys. I have my bootloader back. It was not so hard so I will make a video and post some documentation as for some people this could be tricky.
User

peabody124

by peabody124 » Tue Feb 02, 2016 3:09 am

Could you try saving intermediate .xml configuration files as you go. If you are finding a configuration that reproduces a boot loop I'll happily debug it and fix it :)
no avatar
User

Marc Dornan

by Marc Dornan » Tue Feb 02, 2016 3:34 pm

peabody124 wrote:Could you try saving intermediate .xml configuration files as you go. If you are finding a configuration that reproduces a boot loop I'll happily debug it and fix it :)

The configuration is simple. I am using the latest firmware and I am importing the configuration file supplied for brushed sparking in the wiki.

Do this and then set the Radio option in Hardware to PPM + Telemetry.

Power up again and you should go into perpetual boot cycles. That is what is happening to me.

(I started a new posting in supported hardware for this).

I can send a config file over later today when I get near by workstation.
no avatar
User

Marc Dornan

by Marc Dornan » Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:10 am

Ok. Here are my initial settings attached as Initial settings. I have no issue booting with these.

If I change the Radio settings in Hardware from Disabled to Telem + PPM then the next time I boot it cycles in a reboot loop. I have attached these as badconfigs. Only one change and that the radio setting in hardware.

I have tried the Sparky2 latest stable firmware and the latest fix you released for Brushed Sparky 2.

Roadbocked here. Thanks.
Attachments
Badconfigs.xml
Badconfigs
(11.53 KiB) Downloaded 43 times
brushedsparky-20160106.xml
Initial settings
(10.66 KiB) Downloaded 44 times
Next