Chat about quadcopters, tricopters, hexacopters or your decacopter.

sparky v1.1

no avatar
User

petebarrow

Sat Sep 05, 2015 12:26 am

sparky v1.1

by petebarrow » Sat Sep 05, 2015 12:42 am

Hi
Thought I would try a sparky board instead of the naze. main reason is the new quad needs a very narrow board.
However need help with a few areas.

1) I need to rotate the board 90 degrees ccw. How is this done please?

2) I have dys 20a opto controllers. in the wizard do I select 400 turbo for one shot125
did try and follow the link in github about esc's but the link was dead.

3) I have set the board to 5v for my frsky d4r II ppm rx. how do I get the battery voltage and rssi reading to my Taranis please?.

sorry the questions are very beginners types.

thanks

Peter
no avatar
User

tracernz

Mon Apr 06, 2015 7:46 am

Re: sparky v1.1

by tracernz » Sat Sep 05, 2015 3:10 am

petebarrow wrote:1) I need to rotate the board 90 degrees ccw. How is this done please?

You just need to set the rotation to -90 on the yaw axis like so I think:
If you do the calibration it will take care of this for you I think. Just double check that the model and/or PFD on the Flight data tab move correctly with your vehicle.

-Edit- Yes, the automatic yaw detection, also on the same tab, detects the board rotation for you.
petebarrow wrote:2) I have dys 20a opto controllers. in the wizard do I select 400 turbo for one shot125
did try and follow the link in github about esc's but the link was dead.

They should work fine with Oneshot. I think all SN20s have new enough firmware to auto-detect Oneshot so they should just work.
petebarrow wrote:3) I have set the board to 5v for my frsky d4r II ppm rx. how do I get the battery voltage and rssi reading to my Taranis please?.

Not sure about this one sorry, somebody else should be able to help.
petebarrow wrote:sorry the questions are very beginners types.

No problem at all. Got to start somewhere. ;)
User

DougLorenz

Fri Jun 05, 2015 4:38 am

Sacramento, CA

by DougLorenz » Sat Sep 05, 2015 6:22 am

For OneShot using Sparky 1.1 and the SN20, you don't have to configure anything on the ESC, but you may want to go in and tinker with the ESC firmware settings to enable dampened light. Not absolutely necessary though. That can't currently be done from the GCS software, and you would need separate software (and hardware) to flash the ESC. Once again, not really necessary.

The user guide for OneShot is still a little confusing, but you can check out https://github.com/TauLabs/TauLabs/wiki/User-Guide:-OneShot125

Specifically, you will need to set the update rate to SyncPWM, and the timer to 12mhz. Also change the pulse duration on all the channels to min:125 max:250.

For question 3, it gets a little more complex. First of all, you will need something to sense battery voltage, deliver that to Sparky, and then deliver that to the D4R-II to send to the Taranis.

You can do this the cheap and easy way by ignoring Sparky and just connecting a FrSky FBVS-01 between the battery and the telemetry port on the side of your D4R-II, but while you will get that info delivered to your Taranis, you won't have it in any other Sparky telemetry.

You can also use the FBVS-01 to connect from your battery to one of the ADC connections on Sparky. To do this you will have to set the OutPort in Hardware Settings to include some ADC inputs, and just wire the output from the FBVS-01 into one of them. You'll then have to go into modules, activate the battery sensor, and configure it with the proper ratios. I can't remember the correct ratio for the FBVS-01 off the top of my head, but it's really easy. Just check the voltage on your battery with a meter and adjust the ratio up or down until it is reporting the correct voltage.

You can also do this with power distribution boards that have built-in voltage and current sensors as well. The APM type power distribution boards generally use a ratio of 100mv to 1v for voltage. They're more expensive than a FBVS-01, but I like the convenience of having it all stuffed together on the PDB.

Finally, getting telemetry from Sparky to your D4R-II is relatively easy, but it takes up either your main or flex port. Run a wire from the TX pin on your port into the green wire that connects to the side of your D4R-II. Go into modules and activate FrSky S.Port Telemetry, and in the Hardware page set the port that you are using to FrSky S.Port Telemetry.

RSSI is a different story entirely. I've been screwing around with the D4R-II recently because of its RSSI output, but was disappointed to find that they use a really screwball high PWM frequency that causes Sparky to freeze up in an interrupt storm. I haven't figured a solution to this one out yet myself.
no avatar
User

petebarrow

Sat Sep 05, 2015 12:26 am

by petebarrow » Fri Sep 11, 2015 9:05 pm

Thanks for all your input.

Its flying "sort of" its very slow to any changes.
doesnt fly as well as my naze32 250 qav.

Will have to learn about P.I.Ds.

Please can any tell me if a BEEPER can be switched on with the sparky like the Naze32 has?
So I can use it as a lost model beeper.

Thanks again

Peter
no avatar
User

pug398

Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:26 am

by pug398 » Fri Sep 11, 2015 11:35 pm

Pete the default settings are not always ideal. Under configuration>stabilization>advanced you have the settings to tighten control up. First there are the pids. They control stability and can be tuned using manual settings or autotune feature. After an autotune session while leaving the flight switch in autotune you can go back to the autotune module and move the sliders to make the pids much more snappier and then save them. Under the pid settings you will see stick scaling and expo. Increasing stick scaling will increase stick rate making the quad much more responsive. Expo acts the same as on tx deadening response around center stick. The current 150 is very tame while 400 will give fairly fast flips at the extreme stick travel. There are two sets one for rate mode and one for atti mode which works really nice now. For flipping and rolling one other setting is under hardware tab and that is gyro range. You will want it set to 2000 if you plan for it to do 360 degree flips. TL is very responsive after tuning is figured out. I just came in from showing a sparky1 off to some kids by doing some acro flying, flips and rolls. Luckily I didn't embarrass myself :)