Chat about quadcopters, tricopters, hexacopters or your decacopter.

HMF S500 Sparky build

no avatar
User

WZ9V

Fri Jul 24, 2015 6:21 pm

HMF S500 Sparky build

by WZ9V » Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:26 pm

Building a HMF S500 as a Taulabs experiment platform.

Got my Sparky and it's talking to the GCS (Yea!)
Finally figured out how to get Mode 4 bound properly on my X8R (want telemetry and receiver PWM to be channels 9-16 for whatever.
Hooked up X8R via SBus to Sparky and did radio config in GCS and it looked good. Unfortunately when I display the channels and move sticks to values in GCS do not seem to be mapping properly ( and I get a radio failsafe warning (more work to do tonight)

Have Taranis and GCS mapped as
Throttle - Channel 1 (iThr)
Aileron - Channel 2 (iAil)
Elevator - Channel 3 (iEle)
Rudder - Channel 4 (iRud)
Mode - Channel 5 (S1 - Multipos)
Gear - Channel 6 (SH?)
Unmapped - Channel 7
RSSI - Channel 8
S2 - Channel 9 just to check that 9 -16 mapped to receiver.

Anything special I need to look out for in either X8R firmware updates to TauLabs updates. I think I'm using the latest TauLabs posted 29 days ago but the X8R is still factory original FW.

I'm also assuming the channel values in GCS should update as I move the sticks, it is showing the midpoints, just not seeing the channels move as expected on the screen.
no avatar
User

pug398

Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:26 am

Re: HMF S500 Sparky build

by pug398 » Wed Aug 12, 2015 12:54 am

Looks right and I have never had to update the firmware on a X8R. Once you run through the radio setup wizard you don't get a graphical representation of what the channels are doing anymore (except flight mode on Input page). It is numerically represented in System>Data Objects>ManualControlCommand. You must change the default failsafe on the X8R to get it to pass the failsafe test in radio setup wizard. IIRC it is after binding, leave tx off, power rx and push F/S button. It must failsafe to shut off output pulses if no received signal to pass failsafe check.
no avatar
User

WZ9V

by WZ9V » Wed Aug 12, 2015 1:51 am

Thanks. OK, In that case I probably was seeing the right thing in GCS. I'll setup the RX failsafe as you said and maybe that will clear the warning. I don't have my ESCs yet could not having them hooked up be causing the GCS to display a warning?
no avatar
User

pug398

by pug398 » Wed Aug 12, 2015 2:17 am

Several things will give a warning in gcs but in different ways. Just depends on what the warning says. ESC doesn't really have a warning as it is output only. If it is a config warning you get then you probably need to take "manual" off of the first flight mode switch position and set it to something like leveling.
no avatar
User

WZ9V

by WZ9V » Wed Aug 12, 2015 3:08 am

I finally got the X8R update with the 20150115 firmware by using the the new OpenTX 2.1 feature to update S.Port devices via the module bay. The new X8R firmware implies it fixes some S.Bus issues.

Don't know why I couldn't get the USB adapter to do it other than the darn Windows 10 update getting in the way.
no avatar
User

pug398

by pug398 » Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:16 pm

Glad you mentioned about the update fixing some sbus issues. The last time I checked it just fixed battery voltage reading. This one sounds a little more important so I made up the adapter cable with diode and flashed several X8R. Have enough variables affecting flight that i don't need an input problem thrown in the mix. Will get the X4R update and do that one too. Out of curiosity do you have their adapter or just generic FTDI usb adapter? If generic I believe you have to invert the outputs of the FT232.
no avatar
User

WZ9V

by WZ9V » Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:36 pm

I was using an official FrSky adapter and cable. The updater software would just lock up looking for the device when you click Download. After trying pretty much every trick I could find I gave up and decided to look into doing it with the new functions added to OpenTX 2.1 which was super easy (just make sure you note that the Taranis module pins have VCC/Gnd reversed compared to the S.Port

Don't know if my FrSky cable is bad or if its Windows 10, oh well.

I wasn't going to do the update either but the website implies it corrects so S.Bus issues so I figured I should.
no avatar
User

WZ9V

by WZ9V » Sun Aug 16, 2015 3:54 am

Another dumb question be use I think I have all my motors backwards.

When you have two motors with regular thread and two reverse threaded are the nuts supposed to tighten with the rotation or against the rotation?

I did all mine with the rotation which I suspect is backwards.
no avatar
User

cedric

Sat May 16, 2015 1:30 pm

by cedric » Sun Aug 16, 2015 4:23 am

The nuts tighten against rotation. In other words, the convention is CW motor front-left and the backwards(silver) nut is there.
no avatar
User

WZ9V

by WZ9V » Sun Aug 16, 2015 4:55 am

That's what I figured. Now I have to flip all the soldered motor connections, swap the props, and then swap the motors. Oh well. Better to get it right now than to have the props spin off.