Chat about quadcopters, tricopters, hexacopters or your decacopter.
User

peabody124

Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:33 pm

Sparky2 and MicroQuads

by peabody124 » Sun Feb 15, 2015 4:03 pm

On Sparky2 I added some buffered outputs. Originally I was thinking about using these for directly controlling LEDs (e.g. https://vimeo.com/105504442), but recently have been using them to control brushed motors for micro quads. I'd been meaning to do this for a while but OsoGrande finally motivated me to get off my butt.

I'm really enjoying them.

It's directly controlled via the RFM22b radio so no receiver is even needed. I'm using a module in the back of my 9x (also from OsoGrande, thanks man!)

These things are also really fun because with them weighing so little they can barely do any damage (although you should always fly responsibly). I lost control the other day doing a flip and hit my chest and all it did was make me laugh:

Anyway, I'm enjoying this enough I wanted to avoid the hassle of all the wiring things up so made this frame with a Sparky2 built in:

I also made another variant of TauLink that is designed to fit into a JR socket (and should allow sending information back into a Taranis). It has a bluetooth module to provide a nice little relay to the transmitter:

User

nanobug

Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:08 pm

Re: Sparky2 and MicroQuads

by nanobug » Sun Feb 15, 2015 5:37 pm

That is a beautiful thing!
no avatar
User

treadwm

Sun Jan 25, 2015 3:08 am

by treadwm » Mon Feb 16, 2015 6:07 pm

Very cool! Love small quads. Curious how the fc board as a frame holds up. In my hands, I'd be worried about popping SMCs off. :-)

I was wondering about that impact in the vid. When that happened to me, I came out of it bloody. Glad it didnt do any harm.
User

peabody124

by peabody124 » Mon Feb 16, 2015 6:58 pm

From seeing the crashes with OsoGrande I'm pretty optimistic, but I agree it will need to be seen. I also kept the traces off the arms in case that part needs to be cut off and replaced by something 3D printed.

I also started by making an adapter board (compatible with Sparky1 and Sparky2) that adds the VTX

but I got ahead of myself and made the new board before it even arrived...
User

Kawobei

Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:34 am

by Kawobei » Wed Feb 18, 2015 11:32 am

So sparky 2 release date? How do you want me to bribe you to send me one?
User

peabody124

by peabody124 » Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:22 pm

You know me - I don't do ETAs. However, I have sent out a few more boards to testers and am waiting to hear back. I'm also talking to someone about larger scale manufacturing than hand soldering.

In the mean time, I'll tease you with this:
User

Kawobei

Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:34 am

by Kawobei » Fri Feb 20, 2015 11:21 am

At least with it all on one big board 250 size might not feel so cramped.

Will this include integrated vTX and OSD?
User

peabody124

by peabody124 » Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:14 pm

Integrated vTX: yes
OSD: not in this revision but I've been thinking about it ;-)

While waiting on my PCBs OsoGrande also made some and we are both flying these currently. Mikes:

and mine:

OsoGrande makes really good PDBs and got me motivated on this whole micro thing. The shape of my board is the same as his since he sent me the DXF ;-) he also found the VTX module and basically did all the work. It basically is the same as mine except without Sparky2 integrated in (which means you can also use other flight controllers).
User

Oso Grande

Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:52 pm

Houston

by Oso Grande » Fri Feb 20, 2015 5:29 pm

These little things are just too much fun.

My idea originally was to have a PDB frame that would integrate the usual FPV components, but then Peabody when nuts and created the version with the Sparky2 built in. When every gram counts on these little things, its exciting to see what we'll be able to do with so much processing power on such a tiny quad.
User

balu

Tue Dec 16, 2014 4:45 pm

Münster, Germany

by balu » Sat Feb 21, 2015 5:26 pm

If you keep integrating awesome stuff into these micros, you will be poached by a three letter agency to develop spy equipment.
Next