Discuss and document your current build.

vtail configuration

no avatar
User

pug398

Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:26 am

vtail configuration

by pug398 » Sat Sep 05, 2015 3:27 pm

Vtails have been considered custom configurations pretty much as far as programming goes. With the introduction of autotune the process of finding the best PIDs was made much simpler. The remaining obstacle was finding the best motor layout and mixer settings. Having built 3 different sizes from 285 to 500mm I have found one setup seems to work well. The response is symmetrical and autotune will complete with valid values. To make it easier for others to get their vtails in the air quickly below are the motor layout and mixer settings. In order to enter the custom values into the TL mixer you must choose custom vehicle type. Perhaps devs will make it a new vehicle type in future. Motor numbering follows standard TL quad convention. (Note it is very important for a vtail to have rigid tail construction in order for autotune to complete)

The only adjustment to the mixer that might be necessary is if on takeoff there is forward/backward tilt due to COG or smaller props on tail motors. If it tilts forward reduce throttle curve1 motor pairs 3&4 10-20 clicks. If it tilts backward reduce throttle curve1 motor pairs 1&2 10-20 clicks.
Attachments
motor_layout.PNG
motor_layout.PNG (3.53 KiB) Viewed 1281 times
vtail_mix.PNG
vtail_mix.PNG (9.5 KiB) Viewed 1281 times
no avatar
User

SystemsGuy

Fri Jul 17, 2015 4:16 am

Re: vtail configuration

by SystemsGuy » Sun Sep 06, 2015 12:19 am

Nice - I'm flying a Hunter 400 frame with a Revo on it at the moment. I'm using the same mixer parameters as you, but didn't have good luck on AutoTune.

I was in a bit of a hurry and was able to get some hand tuned PID's to get me up in the air - need to spend some more time with autotune on it I guess..