Discuss and document your current build.

Darth Hex 630

User

DougLorenz

Fri Jun 05, 2015 4:38 am

Sacramento, CA

Darth Hex 630

by DougLorenz » Thu Sep 03, 2015 8:47 pm

After building a bunch of little fast quads, I have wanted to build myself something bigger that has some enclosed space to work with. The idea of Darth Hex came over a year ago when I saw a Disney popcorn bucket in the shape of Darth Vader's head and bought a couple of them on ebay to figure out later.

Darth.jpg
Darth.jpg (455.22 KiB) Viewed 1551 times

The frame is just a basic Turnigy Talon Hex, nothing special there.

The problem is that for a much larger hex, the parts get a bit expensive, and I just didn't want to spend that much. The solution was when I found some insanely cheap motors on Amazon which only cost $25 for four motors and propellers. I had to try them out. I built a large quad which tested out ok, and so I bought a bunch more and began to build Darth.

Motors: Andoer A2212/13T 1000KV Brushless Motor
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00L42H3H6

Currently my go-to ESC for everthing has become the DYS BL20A, which is both powerful and inexpensive.

Inside the skull holds Darth's brains, in this case a Quanton FC. I've had a bunch of issues with the Quanton trying to get it functioning with the right firmware, but it seems to be working at the moment. Haven't gotten all the features up to speed, but one step at a time...

The receiver is a FrSky D4R-II, outputting PPM to the Quanton. I have not yet been able to get RSSI working, as FrSky RSSI seems to not be compatible with anything. Additionally, Frsky hub telemetry has it's own issues, and I'm waiting to receive a TTL => RS232 converter to see if I can solve some problems.

Finally, I stuffed a bluetooth module in there for wireless access, and added a micro USB connector to the back of Darth's head, connected to the mini-USB on the Quanton. Makes it a little easier for those times when you actually need a hard connection.

The purpose of this whole thing was to have the large space to work future ideas.

First idea is to finish the connectivity, including RSSI and Frsky Hub Telemetry. I've got a GPS that I will be adding eventually, and eventually I want to add 3D FPV cameras in Darth's eyes, to see things from his perspective.
User

DougLorenz

Sacramento, CA

Re: Darth Hex 630

by DougLorenz » Thu Sep 03, 2015 10:03 pm

Got it up in the air, seems ok, but a bit wobbly and oversensitive. I haven't done a hex before, nor have I done anything this large, so it's going to take some tuning.
User

DougLorenz

Sacramento, CA

by DougLorenz » Fri Sep 04, 2015 1:39 am

Received TTL => RS232 converter in the mail today, and just hooked it up. FrSky Hub Telemetry now works.

A couple of points for anyone who cares...

On a Quanton I was not able to get FrSky Hub Telemetry to work by connecting directly on UART2. I guess that means that the inverter that allows UART2 to handle S.BUS cannot invert anything going the other way. Once I ran the signal through a TTL => RS232 converter, it immediately worked.

Second item that I was previously not sure about... You CAN connect FrSky Hub Telemetry and Bluetooth telemetry at the same time.
no avatar
User

futureusr

Tue Jul 21, 2015 2:07 pm

by futureusr » Fri Sep 04, 2015 1:55 am

Love it! Great job.