Discuss and document your current build.

HMF S500 Quad

no avatar
User

WZ9V

Fri Jul 24, 2015 6:21 pm

HMF S500 Quad

by WZ9V » Mon Aug 17, 2015 3:13 am

Building one of these as my Taulabs test bed.

HMF S500 Frame PDB version
EMAX 2213/935 Motors
1038 Props
Rotorgeeks RG20 ESC
Sparky FC (Connected and powered via SBUS
AttoPilot Voltage/Current sensor
Turnigy 5V/3A Switched BEC
FrSky X8R
Pololu RC Switch (for LEDs)
Red/Green strip LEDs 12v

Since I had CW/CCW threaded motors I of course put them on the wrong arms and then wired the ESCs for the correct rotation. Had to swap the motors and props and swap ESC leads so that prop nuts thread in the right direction. The Hakko FX888 has been getting a workout this weekend for sure. Motors are soldered directly to the ESC but I put some XT30s on the battery lines so that the arms could still be removed if needed. Main battery is using an XT60 planning to use a Turnigy 3S 3200 I have handy. Once the RC Switch arrives I can finish wiring the LEDs and get ready for a maiden flight.

I have the sparky in a plastic case with foam over the barometer mounted to the S500 top plate using 3M double sided tape (the strong gray stuff). Hopefully that will be far enough that the magnetometer won't be swamped by the lower PDB plate. Binding the X8R for telemetry and channels 9-16 so should have plenty of spare channels for,playing around. Channels 1-8 will are routed to the FC via SBUS. Have not made a cable yet but going to connect X8R to Sparky connector next to the motor PWM outputs. I'll have the Flexi port and CAN bus leftover for future experiments.
no avatar
User

WZ9V

Re: HMF S500 Quad

by WZ9V » Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:58 pm

OK. Got everything sorted except for the on/off RC switch for the LEDs as far as the soldering and crimping are concerned. With X8R bound in the normal mode (Channels 1-8) I connected each motor to throttle (one at a time to channel 1) and they are all spinning in the right direction.

Tonight I'll try rebinding X8R to output channels 9-16, setting failsafe to no pulse, and then head over to GCS to start setup for real now.

With any luck I may be ready for a maiden flight this weekend.
no avatar
User

WZ9V

by WZ9V » Wed Aug 19, 2015 2:55 am

Hmm, not sure what happened. GCS seems to detect the radio as far as setting channels in radio calibration. The RG20 ESC don't seem to want to talk in one shot mode and ultimately I get a warning about RX not found.

Guess I'll try the RG20s in PWM mode since that's what I tested with the RX originally. Not sure what is causing the X8R SBUS losing sync and causing a warning. Have not even tried to see what S.Port is doing.
no avatar
User

WZ9V

by WZ9V » Thu Aug 20, 2015 4:28 am

Made more progress, got telemetry going and then confirmed a problem with OpenTX 2.1.1 and the July 13th release. So turning off telemetry until the next stable release. Helped devs by testing the 8/19 Jenkins but way to chicken to try and maiden with that one ;-)

Finally sorted out arming and flight mode problems (ID10T error). Now the only thing not working as expected is I can't get the RG20 ESCs in One Shot mode to respond like the vehicle wizard says. They do spool up with throttle when armed but it bugs me they are not doing what the wizard says.
no avatar
User

WZ9V

by WZ9V » Sun Aug 23, 2015 3:22 pm

Finally got my ESCs synced up by running the calibration routine. The idle had to be set at about 140 as opposed to the suggested 130. Just need to wire up my RC switches for the LEDs and it will be time for a maiden and possible auto tune.
no avatar
User

WZ9V

by WZ9V » Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:11 pm

Complete failure trying to get either the RotorGeeks or Arduino Uno based BLHeli updater COM port recognized in Linux. Write up seemed simple enough find out what device shows up in /dev when device is plugged in and create symlink between it and ~/.wine/dosdevices/com1, too bad it didn't work. Ugh.
no avatar
User

futureusr

Tue Jul 21, 2015 2:07 pm

by futureusr » Wed Aug 26, 2015 12:30 am

Enjoying your build log here wz9v. I do not have any recommendations for the arduino in Linux tho unfortunately. Good luck!
no avatar
User

tracernz

Mon Apr 06, 2015 7:46 am

by tracernz » Wed Aug 26, 2015 2:41 am

WZ9V wrote:Complete failure trying to get either the RotorGeeks or Arduino Uno based BLHeli updater COM port recognized in Linux. Write up seemed simple enough find out what device shows up in /dev when device is plugged in and create symlink between it and ~/.wine/dosdevices/com1, too bad it didn't work. Ugh.

Yeah, I'm guessing it's a problem with the way the BLHeliSuite app discovers COM ports? I tried it myself and had the same problem a little while ago.
no avatar
User

WZ9V

by WZ9V » Wed Aug 26, 2015 2:37 pm

I've tried every trick I could find.
- add user to dialout
- add symlinks for both com1 and COM1 to /dev/ttyACM0 (how my Uno shows up)
- change permissions on com1/COM1 to 777

If I can find my Windows 7 install DVD I may try setting up a VirtualBox VM next.

Another thought is to try Cleanflights configurator with a Flip32
no avatar
User

WZ9V

by WZ9V » Wed Aug 26, 2015 3:05 pm

Wish me luck. The Pololu RC switches are in place so now Channel 9/10 can switch the arm LEDs on/off (I used two channels so I could play around with them later). The S500 and Sparky are all buttoned up and ready to go for a maiden with the 20150713 GCS/Firmware.

I've noticed some output jitter on OpenTX 2.1.1 (as have others) so I'm thinking I'll roll back to 2.0.17 and just redo the programming in the TX and recalibrate the radio in GCS prior to the maiden.

I assuming I can do the maiden flight on whatever PIDS were setup when I went through vehicle setup.

Then the next step would be to run an auto tune and do the advanced calibration.
Next