Discuss and document your current build.

Titan Tricopter

no avatar
User

jihlein

Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:01 pm

Titan Tricopter

by jihlein » Sat Jul 11, 2015 4:30 pm

IMG_0424.JPG
IMG_0424.JPG (154.86 KiB) Viewed 2388 times

Here's my latest, a Titan Tricopter from Fortis Airframes. Picture is a little dated, in it's current configuration the GPS is installed on the avionics cover between the ears of the canopy rather than on the rear boom, and the Spektrum Satellite RX has been replaced with an FrSky D4R-II receiver. Flying the latest Taulabs next branch on my Naze32Pro port. I've modified the FrSky sensor hub telemetry to downlink arm status, flight mode, GPS lock status, GPS satellites tracked, and hDop. It's displayed cryptically on the Taranis Plus at the moment, but I'm working on a LUA script custom telem page to make it a little more friendly.

I'll get the updated sensor hub code into a pull request shortly, and I'll also post the LUA script once I get that all figured out.

The Naze32Pro is somewhat similar to Sparky 1. Main differences are all the sensors are on SPI (except mag when you use an external one, then mag is on I2C), there are 2 tx/rx serial ports, one rx only serial port, a set of external I2C pins, on board voltage divider for battery monitoring, and on board driver for a buzzer.

How does it fly? In one word, fantastic! I need to do some tuning, but with stock gains on everything, the rate mode, attitude mode, horizon mode, altitude hold, and position hold all work very well.

Now we just have to work on the nut in the sticks skills, or lack there of....

For those interested, it's Ublox 6M gps with external HMC5883 mag. I was tracking between 13 and 14 satellites with an hDop under 0.7. I did see a little toilet bowl effect on one flight, nothing serious, and I'm confident that can be easily tuned out.

I need to set it up for autotuning. I've run it once before, but did not save the new gains. It does get a little wild on the tricopter compared to a quad, nothing outrageous or unmanageable, but the tail does swing around quite a bit. And it could be it's simply more noticeable on the tri because of the long tail boom.
no avatar
User

Trex

Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:35 pm

Re: Titan Tricopter

by Trex » Sun Jul 12, 2015 9:19 am

Nice to see this.

One question regarding the FrSky telemetry things. Did you encode them similar to the SmartPort Telemetry, as this informations are also packed into other FrSky packages?

Might it than be possible to use the same LUA Script for both types of telmetry (i never worked worked with LUA scripts on OpenTX)?

Also the new OpenTX 2.1.0 seems to use a new, more flexible telemetry framework, so it might become easier to transport our custom informations from the FC to the telemtry screens on the TX.
no avatar
User

jihlein

by jihlein » Sun Jul 12, 2015 3:17 pm

I started out packing this the same as the SmartPort module, but diverged a little as I went on.

I use RPM for the arm state/flight modes, same as SmartPort, but for some reason the RPM divider on the Taranis has to be set at 60, not as 1 as indicated for the SmartPort.

T1 is GPS mode state and satellite count, T2 is hDop * 10 (didn't feel like dealing with the decimal). If I reverse T1 and T2 uses, I think that will align better with the SmartPort module. Need to go look at the code some.

Is OpenTX 2.1.0 used on the Taranis Plus? Need to research that too.

I would think that by the time the info gets to the Taranis, it would not matter whether it was encoded via Sensor Hub or SmartPort. I'm just starting to look into this.

The screen shot attached below shows a script I found. I can't remember who wrote it, but I think it was aimed at a DJI system. I'd like to modify this one to add armed state, flight mode, GPS stats, and a timer in the center of the display. The battery and RSSI displays as implemented are pretty cool.
Attachments
telem1.JPG
telem1.JPG (36.41 KiB) Viewed 2352 times
no avatar
User

jihlein

by jihlein » Sat Jul 18, 2015 3:13 pm

Trex, check out pull request 1729. Working for sensor hub. I can make what I think are the necessary changes to sport telem, but I have no way to test them.....
no avatar
User

Trex

Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:35 pm

by Trex » Sun Jul 19, 2015 1:37 pm

Hi,
I already had seen this PR.
At the moment i am working on some other stuff, and as I am not really experienced with OpenTX and never had used or worked with LUA scripts, it will take some time till I can test it. Maybe someone else can also do that.

I am still using the original OpenTX firmware on my Taranis Plus and have not upgraded to a newer version yet. Just added some simple models, and used only basic functionality (like standard telemetry screens with the received smart port telemetry).
The advanced functionalitys with OpenTX are interesting (like LUA Scripts for custom telemetry screens, the new Telemtry in OpenTX 2.1.0,...) and i try to keep informed so that i know where to look, when i start doing some more advanced stuff with OpenTX.

In the moment i was more involved learning a bit more about taulabs and doing some small developments.