Discuss and document your current build.
User

pieri70

Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:08 pm

Trieste, Italy

Re: DIY Tricopter with Quanton from quantec

by pieri70 » Wed Mar 18, 2015 6:41 pm

Ok I solved the yaw servo problem setting min to 1000, max to 2000, middle to 1520.
Then I made all available calibrations except the temperature one and the trim to level one.
I made the autotune and posted my results here.

The tri flies well I think I must work on yaw pid.

Some very little jumps downward. Should I consider some tuning?
Temperature compensation? Foam on baro??

Then I tried Altitude hold and it seems to work, but I was almost stable in position I didn't try to fly around.

Position Hold don't let me arm motors, is it disabled??

Thanks!
no avatar
User

pug398

Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:26 am

by pug398 » Thu Mar 19, 2015 2:21 am

Glad to hear it flies. The mag mounted upside down would require a "bottom" setting and definitely put some foam over the baro. If light or moving air hit it the altitude will change in AH. As far as PH no you cannot arm on the ground. For yaw PID I usually have something like 100, 60, 0 on it. Whatever feels best.

Your tri looks like it has some size to it. You can try moving the autotune sliders to see if it gives a more locked in feeling. I use AT damping of 0.8 and noise of 1.3 on many of mine.
User

pieri70

Trieste, Italy

by pieri70 » Thu Mar 19, 2015 8:10 am

pug398 wrote:Glad to hear it flies. The mag mounted upside down would require a "bottom" setting and definitely put some foam over the baro. If light or moving air hit it the altitude will change in AH.

Yes I understand the "bottom setting" because the Mag is on the bottom of my GPS module, The thing I don't understand is the 90° rotation, look at this picture, it's like mine

The "Y" axis (i think latitude axis) is parallel to the wire insertion to the module, and to the arrow on the top of the module (look at the small arrow on center in this picture, the bigger one on top right of module is a piece of tape).

If it's like that, there shouldn't be any rotation of mag, right?
By the way, it works, this is the fact..

pug398 wrote:As far as PH no you cannot arm on the ground.

This is not the problem.
I cannot arm as I add the PH to my list of available F.Modes.
I set 1= stabilize1, 2=AH, 3=PH and my switch is in position 1. This way my tri don't arm...
I can see the correct FM by ground station trough 433mhz telemetry and I'm trying to arm in stabilize1.

I got 8 satellites and 1,7PDOP, GPS indicator on the hardware display was green and the MAP centered correctly on my garden...
If I set the third FM to anything else than PH (like stabilize)2 the tri arm..

pug398 wrote:For yaw PID I usually have something like 100, 60, 0 on it. Whatever feels best.

In this thread gedsol told me to use

Yaw.Kp = (Roll.Kp+Pitch.Kp) x 1.6
Yaw.Ki = Yaw.Kp x 1.9

It was a referred to a quad i think, do you think this could be true also for a tri?
The result could be

YawKp=(0,00174887+0,00269787)*1,6= 0,007115
YawKi=0,01352

That is 71, 135, 0...

With Damping 1 and Noise sensitivity 1.3 %

pug398 wrote:Your tri looks like it has some size to it. You can try moving the autotune sliders to see if it gives a more locked in feeling. I use AT damping of 0.8 and noise of 1.3 on many of mine.

Ok, I'll lower a little bit the dumping to make it more aggressive..
Also because I have the problem that it makes little jumps downward, mostly due to the back arm movement.
This night I read around the web that the tail wag is a common problem on tricopters..
And a possible solution is to pump up Pids for the yaw..
https://forums.openpilot.org/topic/50661-beginners-guide-to-setting-up-a-tricopter-with-open-pilot/?p=395159

ASAP I'll make some test to see how it works.
Thanks again Pug for your help!
no avatar
User

pug398

by pug398 » Thu Mar 19, 2015 4:15 pm

In your pic you show the cable sticking straight out the back. If mounted so, the reference axis printed on the board show you rolling about (side to side) the y axis. This is 90 degrees off as in aircraft convention you roll about the x axis and pitch about the y. x runs nose to tail and y runs across wings.

For PH problem sounds like a configuration safety stopping you. You do not have any warnings of any type? If not you may need to erase all settings and set it up again.
User

pieri70

Trieste, Italy

by pieri70 » Thu Mar 19, 2015 7:28 pm

pug398 wrote:In your pic you show the cable sticking straight out the back. If mounted so, the reference axis printed on the board show you rolling about (side to side) the y axis. This is 90 degrees off as in aircraft convention you roll about the x axis and pitch about the y. x runs nose to tail and y runs across wings.

Ah, ok I thought Y and X were like a cartesian reference system, with Y latitude (N/S) and X longitude (E/W)..

pug398 wrote: For PH problem sounds like a configuration safety stopping you. You do not have any warnings of any type? If not you may need to erase all settings and set it up again.

I don't have any warning.. All green in my Hardware Status.

So You suggest to erase and setup again..

Are these steps correct (afret erase and first boot)?
1) Setup hardware and uart interfaces
2) Make complete wizard (do I need to flash firmware??)
3) Reverse yaw servo an let it 5° on right (I read in OP thread) when in middle point
4) Temperature calibration?? Is it to enhace the Baro precision??
5) Make 6 point calibration with mag calibration too
6) Make levelling setup with zero axis
7) Make yaw calibration by inclinating 30° the tri on its front arms ends (right like so?)
8) Autotune
9) Go and have fun :-)
no avatar
User

pug398

by pug398 » Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:49 pm

I have not stayed on any release long enough to bother with temp calibration. Don't do the yaw incline calibration but every now and then. Just to make sure one more time :) you have INSOutdoor filter set and INS navigation set along with GPS, AH and VtolPathFollower modules enabled. With this set for autonomous flight you can not arm unless you have at least 7 sats locked in.

These conditions plus setup listed above should allow you to arm with PH on the switch (not engaged) again as long as you have 7 or more sats locked.

All green health indicators usually mean you can arm so maybe redoing it completely is in order if you don't see anything else. By the way that looks like a fairly well designed gps receiver with LNA and SAW filter.
User

pieri70

Trieste, Italy

by pieri70 » Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:33 pm

Here it is..
Quanton Taulabs tricopter maiden: https://youtu.be/PGhm_806keE

How does it seems?
Today just a little tune of yaw pids and go..
Stab1 was as you can see (attitude, attitude, axis lock)
AH was good but some time it has some movements downward..
I put a dark sponge on the baro.. I must work on it..
I didn't try PH but I'm scared to redo all the setup, because now it flies well (for a noob like me).
no avatar
User

pug398

by pug398 » Sat Mar 21, 2015 12:12 am

If you like how it flies then in the GCS top left corner click on File>Export UAV Settings, notice where it is saving file, give it a catchy file name and then save. Double check to make sure it saved it. Then you can try different settings with the option of erasing all settings, then repeat above steps except this time Import UAV settings and it will set it up just like before. It is always good to have working settings on hand. I screw mine up all the time :)

Nice flying in the video. Looks pretty good for first true maiden flight.
no avatar
User

Nicolasgod

Wed Mar 18, 2015 12:47 pm

by Nicolasgod » Sat Mar 21, 2015 11:38 am

Hi,

Thanks for the help last time, I still got issues with my yaw, the servo is vibrating a lot, would you mind sharing your PID
User

pieri70

Trieste, Italy

by pieri70 » Sat Mar 21, 2015 7:44 pm

Tomorrow I'll take a look and report
PreviousNext