Discuss and document your current build.
User

pieri70

Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:08 pm

Trieste, Italy

DIY Tricopter with Quanton from quantec

by pieri70 » Sat Mar 14, 2015 11:24 pm

Hello
I'm beginning to build my tricopter with quanton board bought from Quantec
Before I used taulabs with my Mini 250 and CC3D.
My setup is Quanton with ZTW spyder Opto ESC 20A and Sunnysky 2212 1250KV.
Frsky Taranis with X6R receiver, Crius GPS V2 with Ublox Neo M7 and magnetometer, telemetry on 433Mhz (the one used for APM)

GCS I'm using is Tau Labs GCS (detached from 4082e9d): 20150131-4082e9d8

I cut the wires of GPS and Magnetometer and disposed them in two plug (as was for their original distribution for APM)
One plug with GND VCC, TX and RX for GPS and the other with two wires for the magnetometer.
I put the GPS plug on UART 1 and the magnetometer plug on UART 3.
On uart 2 I plug the X6R S-Bus and on uart 4 the 433mhz modem.

Then I went to GCS Hardware configuration and set I2C on Uart1, SBus on Uart2, GPS on Uart3 and telemetry on uart4.
In modules I pinned the GPS module and I put the tri outside. After some minutes the GPS got fix and in system I can see many satellites, my coordinates and the 3dfix (6 satellites and pdop 2.7)

Despite this in flight data I'm in the middle of the ocean (0,0 -lat,long).

I2C is grayed out in my hardware status... My magnetometer on the GPS board has a writing like I883 2412, is it compatible??

If I try to reverse the two I2C cables the board don't boot and a red led blinks That is attention if I remember well...

Then I made the radio calibration and it works.

Then , I made a mistake and I inverted the left and right arm so the two front motors are spinning in the wrong direction.
IN GCS I tried to select "reverse all motors" option and save, but when I reboot the board that selection is not persistent...

Is it normal that the yaw servo (channel 4) goes all the way o left and works all the time??

For now I wasn't able to calibrate ESC and make the motor spin. Tomorrow I'll try again..

Any suggestion??
Thanks
Pietro
no avatar
User

pug398

Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:26 am

Re: DIY Tricopter with Quanton from quantec

by pug398 » Sun Mar 15, 2015 2:24 am

Wait for 8 sats acquired and your mag sounds like ok the way it was first hooked up.

Never did a TL tri but I find using the "reverse all motors" option causes more confusion than just correcting motor direction at the esc. Perhaps you can plug each esc into rx and run up throttle correcting motor direction by swapping two motor wires. Then when they are all turning correct direction you will not need to reverse in GCS. Since 2 are wrong and one is correct you would not want that option anyway. For channel 4 servo do you need to set neutral to midpoint to center it? Make sure you do not set esc update rate for that channel higher than what servo can handle.

I think the i2c health indicator may be for generic i2c and not for the dedicated mag i2c but not sure.
User

pieri70

Trieste, Italy

by pieri70 » Sun Mar 15, 2015 7:18 am

pug398 wrote:Wait for 8 sats acquired and your mag sounds like ok the way it was first hooked up..

Did you mean GPS?
So the GCS must have at least 8 GPS and a PDOP less than 2 to position me on the right place on the map??
Or is it a problem in the GCS?

pug398 wrote:Never did a TL tri but I find using the "reverse all motors" option causes more confusion than just correcting motor direction at the esc. Perhaps you can plug each esc into rx and run up throttle correcting motor direction by swapping two motor wires. Then when they are all turning correct direction you will not need to reverse in GCS. Since 2 are wrong and one is correct you would not want that option anyway..

Yes of course but the GCS to return in the default settings is not a correct behaviour, right?

pug398 wrote:For channel 4 servo do you need to set neutral to midpoint to center it? Make sure you do not set esc update rate for that channel higher than what servo can handle.

I didn't see these options, I'll try this night!

pug398 wrote:I think the i2c health indicator may be for generic i2c and not for the dedicated mag i2c but not sure.

Yesterday I made the external mag test by rotating the GPS board but it seemed to me that nothing changed on the flight data HUD..

Another issue, the 433mhz telemetry worked out of the box, but it's slow in getting data from the board.
When I click to connect the board orientation is almost istantly displayed in the GCS but the hardware settings takes at least 15-20 seconds to come to the PC.. Do I need to change the baud speed to something greater than the default one?

Thanks again Pug!
User

pieri70

Trieste, Italy

by pieri70 » Sun Mar 15, 2015 9:33 pm

Ok as I wrote on the magnetometer thread I was able to make the magnetometer to work properly with the last stable release (2014/10/26).
Tomorrow I will try to save all settings, erase board, install latest pre release GCS version then I see if all works good.

For the yaw servo to work properly I had to make the vehicle wizard, so it ask the neutral middle point and the max and min excursion.
After that it works at 400Hz (digital servo).

I had to make all the wizard by connecting the quanton via USB not 433mhz telemetry, because radio telemetry is really slow and it make confusion during RC calibration wizard..

Then, How can I assign a switch to the arming function?
Usually I use the yaw left movement, but with yaw servo it could be dangerous..

Next step 6 point calibration, then mag calibration??

And temperature calibration??

What else?

Bye
no avatar
User

pug398

Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:26 am

by pug398 » Mon Mar 16, 2015 12:31 am

Ok so it is working now. You have to mount the gps mag so that both it and fc rotate as one if you are going to check HUD heading. The heading should be correct if you mounted it as mentioned in previous thread. If slightly off the 6 point calibration should take care of it and make sure mag cal box is ticked in 6 point calibration screen.

Yes remote telem is good for quick setting a value or monitoring but too slow for running any kind of routine like wizard or calibration.

Have never used an arming switch. Assumed it was the top left switch indicated in the radio setup wizard but really don't know for sure. If so toggle a switch when that one is indicated to do so and it should read it. Then set arming to switch.

Almost forgot about scopes. There is a lot I am still learning but the easiest I find is to go to Scope page and the bottom right scope is the least used by me. Go to top menu bar and click on Windows. Check Edit Gadgets. You will see the scopes unlock and there are 4 scopes defined and their type. For the bottom right scope I click on type dropdown and select what type of predefined scope I want and fortunately there is already magnetometers. Click on it and then go back to Windows and uncheck edit gadgets to lock it back down. Once changed it will stay even for new releases unless you change it or go and erase the taulabs config file and do new install.
User

pieri70

Trieste, Italy

by pieri70 » Mon Mar 16, 2015 7:25 am

pug398 wrote:Ok so it is working now. You have to mount the gps mag so that both it and fc rotate as one if you are going to check HUD heading. The heading should be correct if you mounted it as mentioned in previous thread. If slightly off the 6 point calibration should take care of it and make sure mag cal box is ticked in 6 point calibration screen..

Ok, so nothing moves because the HUD orientation is a mix between Mag and gyroscopes??
Strange thing, gyros should detect nothing because the frame is firm on the bench and only the mag moves..
By the way, I'll do as you say.

pug398 wrote:Yes remote telem is good for quick setting a value or monitoring but too slow for running any kind of routine like wizard or calibration.

Is there any way to speed up the connection?
I thought telemetry was similar to the one used in APM Copter, so you can track and command your UAV by PC or tablet..
Isn't it like that?

p.s.
I found this discussionon 433Mhz 3dr radios

pug398 wrote:Have never used an arming switch. Assumed it was the top left switch indicated in the radio setup wizard but really don't know for sure. If so toggle a switch when that one is indicated to do so and it should read it. Then set arming to switch.

I set it in the radio setup, but yesterday it didn't work..
May be there is an arming security feature that don't let you arm motors unless you have a valid GPS Fix (<2m PDOP like in APM)??

pug398 wrote:Almost forgot about scopes. There is a lot I am still learning but the easiest I find is to go to Scope page and the bottom right scope is the least used by me. Go to top menu bar and click on Windows. Check Edit Gadgets. You will see the scopes unlock and there are 4 scopes defined and their type. For the bottom right scope I click on type dropdown and select what type of predefined scope I want and fortunately there is already magnetometers. Click on it and then go back to Windows and uncheck edit gadgets to lock it back down. Once changed it will stay even for new releases unless you change it or go and erase the taulabs config file and do new install.

Ok thanks!
Bye
User

pieri70

Trieste, Italy

by pieri70 » Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:23 am

So
Here is how I realized it
Plywood 3mm, Alu square tubes 10mm.

Here is the drawing modified sticked with 3M77 to 2 layers of plywood coupled with double sided thin self adhesive

Here the upper plate after cutting and a layout of the dumpening support. I tried to set the FC close to the projected center of arms.

The Power Board will be in front of the frame plate to rise the distance to the FC/GPS module and magnetometer

Here arms in place and the hole with motor/servo cables coming from the centre of the P. Board.

FC in place with almost all connections set up

On the left:
Uart1 = GPS
Uart2 = Sbus
Uart3 = I2C

On right
Uart4 = 433Mhz telemetry

Then I made 6 risers with long 3mm screws and Alu tubes.
On the top a polycarbonate plate to protect electronic and give support to GPS (and may be in near future a FPV CAM)

Here all hardware in place

A "Night Vision" :D

Some issues I found

During the hardware setup when I set the I2C to Uart3 and save, then the board don't boot connecting only to USB. I need to give power by lipo/bec and then connect USB, all works this way.
Then I can disconnect Lipo and the board works only by USB power supply.. Strange behaviour.
In my setup the I2C only has 2 wires, the power to magnetometer comes by the GPS Plug (uart1).

I made all the setup wizard but at first I must set the hardware setup and the uart connections, otherwise my RX isn't recognized (X6R with Sbus output).

Yesterday I tried to let it hover but it starts to turn in circle as soon as I rise the motor RPM..
The yaw servo moves all the way left or right by itself as I give throttle..

May be I need to make the 6 point calibration (not done yet) and set the correct flight mode.

What do you suggest for Yaw? Axis lock??

Bye
User

pieri70

Trieste, Italy

by pieri70 » Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:19 pm

Hello, IT FLIESSSS!!!!
And the external mag works too!!
I had to set bottom 90° on the mag setup and I don't understand why.
As I opened the GPS Module the mag was on the bottom, ok, but the orientation seemed parallel to the arrow on the top of GPS (white dot on the top of mag and North on left, right?)

For the rotation there was a probem with yaw servo.
After the correct setup of Mag, and the 6 point calibration I saw that trying to rotate on yaw axis the tri had the effect to make the servo to inclinate in the rotation direction, not opposite...
So there was an amplification effect on the rotation instead of a braking effect.

Now I have a problem..

When I went to the output panel to flip the yaw servo movement the neutral center point moved and the same was for min/max limits.
By that panel I cannot set a new neutral center point, because as I choose the "test" flag and move a little the yaw slider it goes to the orthogonal position, bus as I deselect the "test" button the servo inclinate itself...

The same is if I click on save and then power cycle the board..

How does it work?

Thanks for your help!!
User

pieri70

Trieste, Italy

by pieri70 » Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:20 pm

Ok, may be some answers I found here will solve my yaw problem..
https://forums.openpilot.org/topic/7252-tricopter-yaw-servo-control/
User

pieri70

Trieste, Italy

by pieri70 » Wed Mar 18, 2015 11:28 am

Hello
doing 6 point calibration always ends with timeout message, no matter how fast I perform the position cycle..
Is it normal??
P.S.
I perform it with 433Mhz telemetry..
Next